All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

May 19, 2006 12:52PM
Here is a letter I drafted today, to be sent to the homeowner were the problem ORV riding has been occuring by my residence. Along with this letter, I sent two articles discussing the recently passed San Bernardino County ORV ordinance. I figured this was a good start towards having these folks understand exactly what my position is regarding the subject, while also presenting them with the opportunity for further, civil discussion of the matter. We shall see how they choose to conduct themselves, and what further action may be necesary:

Tammy, My position regarding recreational ORV riding in a neighborhood setting, is that it is inappropriate, and does create a situation of Nuisance Noise. From what I have seen by activity on, and surrounding your property, its clear that your position is that this activity is OK, and acceptable. You indicated to me in our last discussion that you have set a time limit for your boys riding. My position is, that I seek reasonable quiet around my home, at all times. My specific complaint regarding ORV riding, on, and around your property, is related to the noise this activity produces, since the dust created by the motorcycle activity around your property has not, thus far, shown itself to be a significant problem for us. For others downwind from your property, this could very well be a problem. So we have a divergence of views on this issue. Because of my disatisfaction with this new noise problem, I attended the recent San Bernardino County Board meeting the day a new ordinace was being discussed. I got the opportunity to speak to the supervisors about my specific complaint, and my wish to see the new proposed ordinance pass. There were also about 35 other speakers who spoke, all in favor of the new ordinance. I can only recall one person, who spoke in opposition to the ordinance. At the end of discussion, some of the supervisors expressed than in all thier years of addressing issues in that forum, that they had never seen such a show of complete support for an issue. This indicates the kind of strong sentiment, and growing willingness by reasonable members of the public, to address a serious, and growing problem of illegal, and nuisance riding of ORV's in rural San Bernardino County. Now as I recall, you indicated to me that you moved out here to " the boonies " so that you could ride your bikes. The reality is, you moved to a neighborhood, with others that live out thier lives next to you. My position is that in a neighborhood setting, vehicles, including motorcycles, should be allowed for transport, to and from residences. Its my opinion that neighborhoods are not the setting for recreational ( track riding, incessant riding close to homes ) riding activity. There are plenty of legal riding opportunities out in open areas very near our residences, where noise and dust created by this ORV activity, will not bother the reasonable expectations of peace and quiet of neighborhood homeowners. The new ORV ordinance becomes law on July 1st. Noise however is also covered under " disturbing the peace " current law too. I have put a lot of effort in to creating a good home, and environment for our family life, here at our location. I will seek to maintain, through the laws and enforement available, a peaceful and quiet atmosphere for our home environment. I will pursue this objective in a rational, reasonable, and peaceful way. I will accomplish what I can toward this end, and accept without vindictivenes, the possibilities of that, which I cannot change. Hopefully you will see that there are legal ORV riding opportunities, reasonably, and responsibly available to your boys, thier friends, your friends, etc, in nearby desert areas, where there is no one to be affected by the noise, and dust, unavoidably created by such activity. Just so you know, I am not seeking any conflict with you, even though we do see things differantly regarding this ORV riding issue, so it presents itself as something, I must address. You may call me at .............. if you wish to in a respectful, and civil manner further discuss this subject. Clearly, if you call, I do not expect that you will be expressing agreement with my position, but I will not continue to engage in a conversation if the tone becomes abusive in nature. That is a reasonable expection on my part. If you wish to talk to me in person about this, please call first so that I can provide time for this. Lastly, I understand completely that you enjoy this riding pastime. I have ridden motorcycles many times in the past myself, and it is lots of fun. I just hope you will understand, that a neighborhood is not the setting, for a loud activity such as this. Van
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

BLM vs. Hotspringers and Rogue Dirt Bikers

mojavegreen 1205May 12, 2006 09:20AM

Re: BLM vs. Hotspringers and Rogue Dirt Bikers

Rick 774May 12, 2006 11:46AM

jobe 881May 12, 2006 08:45PM

Steamboat 735May 16, 2006 08:50PM

Wizard 719May 16, 2006 09:14PM

mojavegreen 718May 17, 2006 08:29AM

Wizard 709May 17, 2006 09:52PM

desertdude 799May 17, 2006 10:52PM

Wizard 863May 18, 2006 01:41PM

Paul P. 732May 18, 2006 04:10PM

Wizard 753May 18, 2006 07:20PM

Wizard 779May 19, 2006 12:52PM

Paul P. 685May 19, 2006 05:43PM

Wizard 1304May 19, 2006 08:38PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login