Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (94% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Bowen Ranch/DCHS Visitors

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

November 23, 2003 12:21PM
Ron, Sparky and Tuka didn't see the Bobcat but you could tell they caught the scent and went running toward the area that the Bobcat traveled. It was quite cold and very windy which probably dispersed the Bobcats scent because my pooches lost interest pretty quick. I've seen my dog sparky chase Deers off into the distance, and out of sight in the hills around Deep Creek. Occasionally Sparky also catchs a squirrel for a snack :-( I also saw another intersting sight, a whole bunch ( over a hundred ) of Doves hanging out together in the remenants of a burnt out juniper. I've never seen such a group.I forgot to mention yesterday that I also viewed with my binoculars the burned areas Southeast, and far East of DCHS. Those burn areas are a LONG ways from the springs. I looked at the area south of the Kinely Creek bridge and could see no burn areas out in that direction. The DCHS situation, in my opinion is as " safe " as its ever been. If the USFS is concerned about people hiking up the PCT towards the fire area then put a sign up saying to hike into the burned areas is not allowed. The reality is that people hiking from the areas north of DCHS don't expend the energy to hike all the way up to where the beginning of the fire area would be, around Devils hole, especially this time of year. People coming from the north to DCHS don't go hiking back up the only other trail, Bradford Ridge Trail to go for miles exploring. Concerning HWY 173 on the south of DCHS, if its open, people that would be hiking to DCHS would be going away from any fire areas, and besides, as I mentioned I see no evidence of burn areas anywhere in view south of the Kinly Creek Bridge where the Bradford Ridge trail starts. The reality is, the people who will ignore this closure will go to DCHS, signs or no signs, the people who would show respect for the policies of the USFS are the folks they are keeping from DCHS. This closure of DCHS is a bunch of nonsense in my opinion. I got a real feeling that there are other motives involved with this closure policy than mere protection of the visiting public, as it relates to the popular destination of DCHS. Keeping DCHS closed for months, and area that was completely unaffected by these fires, and is so far removed from those areas, lacks any common sense in my opinion. I would say this may have alot more to do with the USFS closing these areas, so they can concetrate thier manpower or resources to issues in the burn areas. Also there are those, I'm sure who may think of this community as just a bunch of naked, drugged up hippies. We know that view would not be representative of the many fine folks who visit this wonder of nature. There is no threat to people who would be visiting DCHS from any new conditions related to the distant fires. I'm sure the USFS policy makers are little concerned about the DCHS community of visitors. Were probably not even a blip on thier radar screen. So DCHS gets closed when it gets burnt like the Willow Fire, its gets closed when its miles from a burnt area, and it even gets closed when there is just the " threat " of fire like last fall. Before you know it, there will be so many reasons to keep DCHS closed, these policy makers will have the place closed all the time!
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Bowen Ranch/DCHS Visitors

Wizard 1090November 22, 2003 05:56PM

Wizard 634November 22, 2003 08:14PM

Ron 604November 23, 2003 09:38AM

Wizard 554November 23, 2003 12:21PM

DCR 671November 23, 2003 02:10PM

LaughingBear 615November 23, 2003 06:05PM

Rick 643November 23, 2003 06:15PM

LaughingBear 1064November 23, 2003 07:54PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login