Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (87% of Full)

Advanced

Re: BLM Cottonwood Springs

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

September 13, 2003 10:47AM
It has been my experience that anyone who shows concern for the environment is immediately labeled as an environmental extremist by those on the other extreme.

The world does not work on extreme views and it is left for those on the middle ground to find sensible solutions. While Tom and Tanya Egan's task assignments at BLM were resource oriented, they were noted for seeking real solutions, as demonstrated by their work following the Devil and Willow Fires. As I have already stated, their work has been invaluable to the local community.

During my history of dealing with the BLM over the last 30 years, there has been a political shift within BLM from capable resource/recreational management to a focus on recreational use. Trail J1299 is an example of total disregard for stated BLM planning policy and management plans. A conscientious public employee would be hard pressed to make sense out of this and similar earlier incidents were likely the source of friction within the Barstow office. The political casualties included two fine public servants.

You asked not to be labeled by your friend Auggie's views. Daniel Patterson lived in this area and is very possibly a friend of the Egans. Perhaps you should apply your own standard of fairness and not judge the Egans on Daniel Patterson's views or on rumors from the Barstow BLM office.

As far as the motorcycle volunteers, I can tell you only what I perceive to be the truth. There was an escalating level of OHV disregard for the Willow Fire closure, including professional dirt bike racers who had targeted Juniper Flats as a practice area. Tanya Egan was in charge of the fire recovery effort and contacted one of the identified racers. This led to contacts within the local community and there was an effort to gain their cooperation. Local volunteer riders were used to inform violators of non-compliance and, to my knowledge, they had no enforcement responsibility. Despite their efforts, OHV non-compliance continued unabated on the fragile terrain.

What is now identified as Route J1299 began at this time as Laughing Bear explained. It was reported along with all the other incidents of non-compliance, but no action was taken by BLM law enforcement to mark the trail as closed or take action against the violators. As I stated earlier, two local residents were falsely cited by Barry Nelson, Chief BLM Law Enforcement Ranger in apparent retribution for requests for enhanced enforcement on Juniper Flats.

So what is the real story on this trail? Was it created by Barry Nelson's volunteers? We do know that it appears to have had BLM concurrence since its inception. We also know that it has opened up a previously unspoiled area to route proliferation and is threatening the cultural area. It is being used as a trespass route to adjoining private property.

I am looking forward to reading your material on the establishment and boundaries of the Juniper Flats ACEC.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

BLM Cottonwood Springs

katrina island 1006September 13, 2003 03:14AM

LaughingBear 576September 13, 2003 08:11AM

Rick 1360September 13, 2003 12:05PM

Within the BLM

mojavegreen 542September 13, 2003 08:02PM

mojavegreen 700September 13, 2003 10:47AM

mojavegreen 573September 13, 2003 03:09PM

LaughingBear 1028September 14, 2003 08:15AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login