Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (92% of Full)

Advanced

Re: What are you thinking?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

January 10, 2002 03:26AM
At one time, I had my corporate papers on here. DHCS, Inc. represents the interests of people who love Deep Creek and wish to continue enjoying this beautiful place. The public agencies are also concerned about trash, overnight camping, lack of facilities, any human impact on the endangered species in the area.

I believe the solution is to participate with these agencies and provide suggestions on how to deal with these issues. The purpose as stated in the Articles of Incorporation are as follows:

"The government agencies who manage public lands are increasingly relying upon private providers of essential facilities and services, thus the general public could be excluded from the public lands by the lack of essential facilities and services. This corporation is organized to operate the historic Bowen Ranch which provides public access to the San Bernardino National Forest and the Deep Creek area. The specific purposes are as follows:

1. Public Benefit
a. To continuously provide facilities and services to the general public(toilets, vehicle staging areas, picnic and campfire sites).
b. To lessen neighborhood conflict.
c. To defend human and civil rights secured by law.

2. Education
a. Assist people in understanding how to work with the government agencies who manage these public lands under the Federal land Policy and Management Act.
b. Provide maps, public interest educational materials and informational kiosks on how to exist and recreate harmoniously on public lands."

The two officers of the corporation are Katrina and William Schweiss. We felt that it has been too premature to organize a board of directors or add officers. It is risky right now for others to be actively involved.

We have not applied to receive our exempt status as of yet because of lack of funding. The corporation is required to pay money first when the application is made. After receiving the tax exempt status, this money is refunded. We have paid for insurance on the Bowen Ranch building for two years to protect it from being destroyed or damaged. We have paid for this website for a year and a half. We have paid for the building and the taxes. And that's for starters.

You could specify a specific purpose for the money donated. We are working with another nonprofit who is already approved as tax exempt. They are a funding foundation and donations are tax deductable. DCHS, Inc. has records of these expenditures.

We planned to accept donations only at the Bowen Ranch. However, we eventually planned to build camp grounds and facilities to accomodate hotspringers. The camp grounds would be a for profit business operated by the nonprofit. These campgrounds and facilities would provide a solution for some of these agencies concerns.

We also plan to utilize the building to meet, discuss and plan the future of Deep Creek Hot Springs. I have so much information that would really help us in participating with these agencies in their management planning. We need a central place where we can do this. I have learned alot about the process.

However, I am beginning to think that I may never be able to be at the Bowen Ranch. It may not ever be safe for me. That would mean that it will be crucial that people join together independently for the future of Deep Creek. That maybe people from the forum start meeting and forming an alliance for this purpose. We will need to form a strong and reliant Board of Directors.

The future of Deep Creek is in the planning stages with these agencies right now. The future of Deep Creek is in our hands or not. I know the Sierra Club has a representative at every meeting and they have plans for Deep Creek. Their opinion will be represented. Will ours?
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

What are you thinking?

impartial 1553January 07, 2002 12:31AM

Montrose 721January 07, 2002 01:16AM

Wizard 1016January 07, 2002 09:27AM

Wizard 789January 07, 2002 09:30AM

Craig 966January 07, 2002 01:17PM

Paul P. 819January 07, 2002 01:11PM

Rick 829January 07, 2002 04:39PM

Wizard 780January 07, 2002 06:44PM

impartial 891January 08, 2002 01:45AM

katrina 795January 08, 2002 03:00AM

Rick 938January 08, 2002 11:32AM

katrina 841January 08, 2002 02:52AM

katrina 782January 08, 2002 02:54AM

katrina 996January 08, 2002 02:55AM

impartial 787January 09, 2002 12:00AM

katrina 710January 10, 2002 02:45AM

katrina 842January 10, 2002 03:26AM

Wizard 1450January 08, 2002 09:53AM

Paul P. 1178January 08, 2002 01:04PM

Wizard 843January 09, 2002 08:50AM

Paul P. 737January 09, 2002 12:32PM

TikiBeachClub 1285January 21, 2002 05:56PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login