All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

September 01, 2011 12:54PM
Sam D.
Thanks, Rick. How far is the hike to Litlle and Big Caliente from where one can park? I can not find the places mentioned on my maps.

Hi again Sam, isn't it great that they finally got the road open down the mountain? Middle Santa Ynez campground is located at the junction of Forest Road 5N15 (the one you take all the way down the mountain) and Forest Road 5N16. To get to Big Caliente, it will be a 2.6 mile one way walk or bike from Middle Santa Ynez campground along Forest Service Road 5N16. It's flat, so hiking or biking is easy. Don't forget to bring your tools and any fittings you may need to fix the pipe at the Big Caliente concrete tub. I'll be happy to split the parts cost with you.

Litle Caliente is a lot further from Middle Santa Ynez. The gate is closed so you can't drive in. It's a 5.5 mile hike or bike. I've taken my mountain bike there several times when the gate is closed. It takes too long to hike in.

If I was you, I'd focus on visiting Big Caliente only. I'm going to be in Santa Barbara for only one day later in Sept, but I may try to extend to come over the mountain to the springs. Will keep you posted.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Santa Barbara Ranger District Road Closures Update

Rick2235August 31, 2011 04:26PM

Re: Santa Barbara Ranger District Road Closures Update

Sam D.1469August 31, 2011 06:32PM

Paul P.1091September 01, 2011 12:54PM

Sam D.839September 01, 2011 03:10PM

Paul P.955September 01, 2011 03:48PM

Sam D.875October 04, 2011 09:42PM

Paul P.1342October 05, 2011 12:11PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login