Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Full

Advanced

Re: Hiking to Willett Hot Springs this weekend -- any suggestions?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

August 31, 2010 10:11PM
Joel,

I made that hike last year November and had a good time. Water is not usually a problem, provided you have a filter as Madrox pointed out. There is usually water in the creek even late in the season. There is also a hose and spigot by the cabin and corrals at Willet (just below the springs), but this water should also be filtered.

There are old cabins at Willet and one if them has a couple sparse bunk beds (frames and wire supports only). You can sleep there if they are not already taken. Last year the cabin was inhabited by a large “mouse” (rat) that ate and played all night and kept me up. It is better to camp near the springs anyway if there is room.

The trail in is not too hard to follow but there are a couple tricky places and several stream crossing. The geology is cool, but the weather won’t be (not this weekend). It will be hot and the trail is mostly in the open, but pretty level. I made the hike to Willet in one day, but Bear Camp just past the 4 mile mark looked inviting with trees by the creek.

The springs are nice, but unlike Deep Creek have a relatively strong sulfur smell. They are also not particularly picturesque. When I visited, the pipes that fill the tub were partially blocked with dirt, but a couple regulars fixed it up nicely. The water is clear as it fills, but turns a cloudy white after about ½ hour…. Interesting, not sure why???

Since you are in the Ojai area you might look for the mysterious Vickers Hot Spring ; )

Have fun and let us know how it was.

A trail map is provided with the link below.

http://www.mapmyhike.com/hike/united-states/ca/ojai/103125705594863622

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2010 10:22PM by hiker.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Hiking to Willett Hot Springs this weekend -- any suggestions?

JoelTDahl2618August 30, 2010 12:24PM

Madrox1232August 30, 2010 08:07PM

JoelTDahl1019August 31, 2010 07:50AM

hiker2270August 31, 2010 10:11PM

Sam D.982September 01, 2010 04:05PM

JoelTDahl1924September 07, 2010 01:25PM

Paul P.1011September 02, 2010 09:56PM

JoelTDahl1052September 03, 2010 08:20AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login