Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (97% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Major flood damage at DCHS

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

October 25, 2004 10:31PM
Well Sam your report sounds very famaliar to the damage caused by the big flooding in the 92/93 rainy season. There were several major flood events that winter, each one causing more changes. The area above the Arizona Pool was also full of dead branches and even the stumps of some trees. That Spring Arizona Mike and I spent some days throwing all the wood into Deep Creek while the spring runoff was still flowing swiftly and it was carried down stream out of harms way. You know what would have happened when things warmed up with all of that dead wood laying around. Also a huge pile of drift wood piled up in the sycamores that used to stand just east of the Arizona Pool, the ones that were later cut down by some idiot. Another flood came through and walla, the big pile of driftwood was gone! There is another storm coming in tomorrow evening. Also I've heard that there could be more significant rains in the February to May period because of a mild to moderate El Nino brewing. If more significant flooding occurs during this rainy season, the wood you now see might very well go on downstream, and new driftwood will continue to come along from further upstream. That area is a natural eddy spot in the creek and a real magnet for floating things. Best to throw it into the creek in the spring, before things warm up, after threats of flooding is pretty much gone. The Womb could be dug and vacumed out but another big flood could come along and fill it with debris again. The Serenity pool pretty regularly gets filled with sand and mud since its lower down. I've seen people try to dig that one out in the early part of the rainy season only to find it messed up again in the next flood. I'll have to get up there to Deep Creek real soon to see all the changes!
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Major flood damage at DCHS

Sam D. 1119October 24, 2004 10:40PM

celtfire 634October 25, 2004 07:23PM

Wizard 606October 25, 2004 10:31PM

Paul P. 666October 26, 2004 09:57AM

sycamorelaughing 1006October 31, 2004 01:44PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login