All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

December 05, 2011 12:25PM
First of all I gotta get this off my chest, so to speak. I have been to Deep Creek h.s. several times in the past month and have not posted here. I have not gone there with out running into some one from this site complaining about me not posting my regular trip reports ;~o Like that is a crime or sumptin.
Occasionally, it is nice to get out of the computer digital world.
On the Wednesday before Thanks giving I went for a 4 nights and 3 day car camping trip to the Freedom trail head area.
On Wednesday I arrived near the trail head @ 1 1/2 hour before sunset. Which gave me plenty of time to set up camp. While setting my large ice cooler on the ground I noticed a large amount of bird feathers there. While exploring the general area I found another place where bird feathers were spread around too. Afterwards I was watching for falling stars from the comfort of my sleeping bag. I noticed several small shooting stars. Then I saw one shooting star dart half way across the sky. This took about 3 seconds. After the shooting star disappeared a white trail left behind took @ 5 seconds too fall from the sky, kind of like dominoes falling. I felt very lucky to have witnessed this spectacle. Just as I was Thanking God for this, another shooting star started at the same place with the same trajectory. Doing the same Domino effect, I felt double lucky.
About one minuet later as I was looking toward the sky I heard what sounded like one rock sticking another nearby. I prop-ed myself up on my elbow to watch for any movement in the area. I did not see anything after a few minuets of looking. Then just as I started to look away I thought I saw something move out of the corner of my eye, but was not 100% certain. After a few minuets I saw no thing and continued my star gazing. After a few minuets of this I heard a loud and clear MEEE - OOOU ! After about 3 seconds I heard another MEEE - OOOU ! I prop-ed myself up on my elbow again reaching for my flashlight. As I did this I heard a MMEE, that was it. I assumed this was nearby and he heard me so I tried to make no sound what so ever. Again I stared into the area of this sound which was in the same area the rock sound was before. I stared for probably 3 minuets without seeing any thing. I was wandering if some one was trying to surprise me or if the growler was stalking me, I wandered all kinds of scenarios. Then suddenly I was 100% I saw something in the darkness move. Only for about 1 or 2 feet. It was only a patch of grey in the blackness of night. So I intensified my stare. While attempting to remain completely quiet. Then after about 3 minuets I saw movement in the same area, this movement was only about 1 or 2 feet also. So I pointed my 3 - D cell flashlight with it's super bright light directly at the movement area. To my surprise a 3 foot long Bobcat stared back at me for about 3 seconds before darting away.His emerald blue eyes were beautiful to behold as he was less than 20 feet away. I sprung out of my sleeping bag for a second encounter. The cool breeze had left the ground slightly moist. So tracking this beautiful creature was easy. I saw his tracks go into a Scrub Oak tree nearby then come out the other side. When he came out the other side his leaps were over 10 feet apart. He continued to a large boulder then descended down the steep hill. I am sure I scared him more than he scared me. Once again I felt very lucky for this encounter.
The next morning I got to the hot springs at 7 am. I saw no one camping but there was 1 guy soaking in the Arizona pool. I wished him a happy Thanks giving. He was quite but wished me one too. He soaked about 20 more minuets then picked up trash for @ 20 minuets then left. That may be why I could find no trash to take with me when I left. All day I counted only 15 visitors. Kind of nice for a change.
I did encounter a couple who were camping downstream from the pools. I asked if he had seen anything unusual while camping down there. He said that while collecting fire wood further down stream on the day before he had spotted a Bobcat. So, naturally I had to tell him about my encounter also. By his description he saw the same Bobcat I saw, but who knows?
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Bobcats in Deep creek area !!!

jobe1959December 05, 2011 12:25PM

Re: Bobcats in Deep creek area !!!

Wizard938December 05, 2011 10:24PM

neogeo852December 06, 2011 10:58AM

jobe819December 06, 2011 06:44AM

dadinpain874December 09, 2011 01:59PM

Paul P.1384December 09, 2011 04:54PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login