Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (94% of Full)

Advanced

Re: California bear-hunting season closes with quota met

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

December 18, 2009 01:25AM
I've been hunting and fishing all of my life and I have to agree with you Rick. I've never shot a bear but I have had some greasy bear chili for dinner a time or two. The meat is rather gamey but at the time, it was a welcome addition to the pot of beans.

One morning back around 1979 or 80, I was sitting in my front yard drinking coffee while my daughter Asha was playing. We looked up to see a big black critter running between my cabin and the road. "Who's dog is that!" I exclaimed. It was then that I realized what it was. We got a good look at the north end of the bear heading south as it loped on over the hill across the road.

The hamlet of Forest Falls has a persistant bear population and we encountered one while leaving "El Mexicano" one dark evening. I'm not really sure if it was the good cooking there or the live acoustic music that attracted it to the locale. My wife and I slowly backed away and went back into the restaraunt leaving it to ponder the contents of the nearby dumpster.

Down on Deep Creek, bears have been known to wander through in places like where Willow creek connects with Deep Creek proper. Big Bear also has a resident population that wake up on trash day. There's an old saying....a fed bear is a dead bear.

I hope everyone here is enjoying the season. Take care
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

California bear-hunting season closes with quota met

Rick1143December 17, 2009 08:24PM

LaughingBear797December 18, 2009 01:25AM

Rivernude1568December 21, 2009 09:44PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login