Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (85% of Full)

Advanced

Planning a solo trip to Sespe in two weeks

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

March 18, 2019 01:42PM
Hi All,

Looking for advice on planning a solo backpacking trip to Sespe Hot Springs. The river is very high and so the Piedra Blanca trail is out, I called the Ojai Ranger Station and they recommended the Johnston Ridge Trail but noted that the gate for the road to trailhead would be closed until late April. I need to capture video of the algae at Sespe hot springs for a video research project and so I need to do it in the next two weeks probably some stretch of days between March 26-31. The rangers told me the best bet is to mountain bike the road to the trail(around 12 miles) and then stow the bike and hike the Johnston Ridge into the springs. I've only done Piedra Blanca to Willet springs and Alder Creek Trail to Sespe. I am assembling what I need to do this trip alone since none of my friends are fit/crazy enough to attempt this. I have several questions:

Has anyone done this bike/hike route before? Any tips would be appreciated?
Has anyone done this hike from any route during this time of year before? Again advice on what to expect would be great.
Are mountain lions, bears, coyotes, snakes an issue this time of year? Seems like the warm climate means they are active year round and the wilderness area means they are pretty numerous compared to other parts of socal.

I have a GPS for emergency contact and a bear bag for food and toiletries. Is there anything to use at night for warding off animals?
All info is very much appreciated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2019 01:43PM by paulespo.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Planning a solo trip to Sespe in two weeks

paulespo1780March 18, 2019 01:42PM

Re: Planning a solo trip to Sespe in two weeks

Rick685March 20, 2019 12:45PM

paulespo663March 26, 2019 10:19AM

Paul P.810March 27, 2019 09:03PM

wwbeard623April 02, 2019 03:01PM

paulespo649April 02, 2019 07:16PM

wwbeard900April 03, 2019 02:11PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login