Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (66% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Holly cherry

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

May 16, 2018 07:43PM
I think a nick name for those are Choke Cherries. My dogs used to eat them off the bush when in season. I have tried them and when ripe the fruit is sweet but the skin is bitter. You could try calling Scott Eliason who is ( or was ) the USFS botanist. His number at the time was 909-382-2830. He may know something about how to germinate them. I tried growing from the small purple fruits of the Desert Olive some of them in our front yard. They never sprouted and I was told by Tom Eagan, who used to be a BLM botanist I think it was that there are special conditions related to the skin over the seed that had to happen before they would germinate. I once found a unique plant growing at Deep Creek with long colorful blooms. I sent Scott a picture of it and he identified the plant as being a Butterfly Bush, a non indigenous species for the area. I only ever in all my hikes at Deep Creek found one of those smiling smiley
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Holly cherry

anleu12067May 15, 2018 12:28PM

Rick718May 16, 2018 07:10PM

Wizard699May 16, 2018 07:43PM

anleu1787May 16, 2018 08:01PM

mdskibum953August 04, 2018 12:02AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login