All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

June 17, 2013 01:23AM
Just came back from the springs. The heat is in its full force. Just about 500 yards from the Bowen Ranch I encountered a couple who said they got lost for a while. They asked for water so I gave them 2 bottles including 1 enhanced with electrolytes. On the way back, there was another young thing that either got dehydrated or experienced a mild form of heat stroke. I gave her my last 1/2 bottle of Trader Joe electrolyte water. The group she was with gave me a small bottle of hot springs water to carry me over but that water never agrees with me, so I only took a couple of sips getting back to the parking lot completely dehydrated as well. I followed the group to make sure there was an extra body in case the girl had to be carried to the parking lot. It was getting close to sunset so I doubted a helicopter would’ve made an emergency landing for her in the dark. In any case, she mastered the strength and hiked to the freedom trail parking.

It took me 1 hr 45 min today to hike the trail down from Bowen Ranch. The trail was pretty trashed. I think somebody marked the trail by throwing trash on it. I collected 3.5 bags. I left 2 on the trail and hid the heaviest one to carry on my way up. I also dropped a bag near a truck parked at the lower lot. I am glad to report that the 2 bags got carried away and the bag by the truck was taken.

I sound like a broken record, but the place was pretty trashed. The upstream portion was not too bad with majority of trash in the near vicinity of the pools. So, I had time to clean up the downstream portion this time. I collected 4 bags there. Before I left I briefly touched up the beach on the BR side of the creek. That entire area is pretty trashed. I can spend 2 days bagging drek just from that side.

I any case, I collected 21 bags of various weights. There were 15 left when I left. I relocated a few to the BR side of the beach leaving the rest by the sign. Originally, I intended to leave empty handed and pick up the bag I hid in the bushes. However, after encountering the group with the girl in distress I decided to help them and carried their trash bag that I gave them to collect their trash. So, if you see a large 40 lbs. bag in the bushes, feel free to carry it up.It's the one with the trash I collected on the trail. Otherwise, I am going to carry it in a couple of weeks or so. Anyway, I carried their bag to the lower parking lot and hanged it on the bulletin board after reading on this forum that somebody used that technique to keep animals away. So, if you can make it to the lower parking lot, please take that bag with you.

Please carry the 15 bags left. I made the sign asking not to add more trash but somebody took it down while I was workingthumbs down.

It looks like somebody renewed the paint on those pink arrows. They are total eyesorethumbs down. Also, somebody arranged a bunch of rocks to form a large “420” signthumbs down. The formation is visible from the trail and might aggravate already aggravated authorities. The arrangement is located on the other side of the rocks ending the upper portion of the creek. Let me see if I can explain it better. If you hike upstream along the creek eventually you come to the point you need to climb over some rocks to get to the other side. The other side’s beach is where the “420” was arranged. My legs were cramming badly and I could not force myself to make the climb. I also failed to find a more convenient trail to get to the other side but I cannot say I spent too much time trying. Somebody melted red candles in the Anniversary poolthumbs down. Its water was scorching hot all day long for me to get in and scrub. Also, somebody stole the brush with metal bristles I brought a month ago for the purpose of scrubbing candle wax thumbs down.

Overall, it was a good day. At one point 65% of folks got nekkid. There was a customary dog in a pool, customary loud music and customary screaming. The highest temperature was 96F but the wind made it deceptively cooler. The pools were pretty clean under the circumstances.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2013 01:34AM by Sam D..
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

06/16/2013 Trip Report

Sam D.2313June 17, 2013 01:23AM

Re: 06/16/2013 Trip Report

Paul P.1067June 17, 2013 08:41AM

DCHS Jaunter1003June 17, 2013 10:35AM

jobe879June 19, 2013 11:20AM

neogeo842June 19, 2013 05:46PM

To Escape890June 21, 2013 09:14PM

mohave891June 17, 2013 06:37PM

Paul P.898June 19, 2013 08:30PM

Rivernude880June 30, 2013 10:31PM

Rivernude1369July 08, 2013 09:58PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login