Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (94% of Full)

Advanced

Re: which route to dchs is easier on a 2wd honda crx?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

August 31, 2011 09:38AM
Hello imahighker and welcome to the forum.

Your 2 wheel drive CRX would be able to make it to either starting point but for your first trip I would recommend the Bowen Ranch route because it is a better marked trail from parking area to the springs than the Bradford Ridge trail.

To access the Bowen Ranch parking lot you would be driving the last few miles on dirt roads. I have a low sitting 2 wheel drive Saturn sedan and never have had any problems accessing the Bowen Ranch parking lot. Sometimes after a heavy rain the road gets a little rough but as long as you take it nice and easy and pick your route over the ruts or dips you will not have any problems. The key is to take your time and slow down on the rough sections so you do not bottom out and do some underbody damage. The majority of the Bowen Ranch road is in really good shape right now, in my opinion the worst section is the short drive from the toll gate down to the parking area. Just pick a line that will keep your under carriage as high off the ground as possible. You will only be doing about 5 mph or less in this area and it is only a few hundred yards from the toll gate to the parking area.

To get to the Bradford Ridge parking area you would be driving on asphalt the whole way so your car would not have any issues. Nowadays the only way to get to the Bradford Ridge parking area is via the 173 from Lake Arrowhead which is all paved. In the past you could come up the 173 from the Lake Silverwood side but that was just a dirt road the whole way but that side has now been closed. The state did not have enough money to keep reparing the dirt road portion of the 173 so they closed it down.

I hope you can make it to the springs soon, it is a magical place. Let us know how it goes.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

which route to dchs is easier on a 2wd honda crx?

imahighker1779August 30, 2011 09:43PM

jobe1001August 31, 2011 08:52AM

lbcalrr1068August 31, 2011 09:38AM

nude hiker1016August 31, 2011 09:38AM

imahighker1374August 31, 2011 02:35PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login