Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (94% of Full)

Advanced

Re: should I even go?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

July 21, 2009 12:06PM
No one in truth could really predict for you Tombaird just what would be the outcome of your visit to DCHS. In reference to the most recent report of the two vandalized vehicles at the Freedom Trail parking area, I was also told not to long ago by a USFS Ranger of another vehicle that was damaged severly at this same location. In the last couple of years graffiti has shown up and is increasing along this Freedom Trail. I used to walk that route when it was just a cow trail and it was a quiet way to hike out of the Deep Creek canyon and was very pristine. The demographics of the types of people visiting DCHS has definitely been changing in recent years and with this have come more problems. DCHS is a place that I have taken my two daughters to many times ( since they were a couple of months old ) but these days I'm not that comfortable with the behavior/manner of various people I see there. The illegal motorcycle riders in the area have proliferated to the point that the north side of the Deep Creek canyon and in the higher elevations above it are now riddled with an interlaced webwork of multiple illegal trail. These illegal riders have become more aggresive and bold in their growing intrusions into this beautiful area. Just recently there were two people who posted here at the DCHS Forum with post names Outlaw and Totalkaos who clearly by their words think DCHS should be an " anything goes " type atmosphere. They seemed particularly ticked that people would suggest that this general area and DCHS are illegal for OHV use. Would persons with these mindset trash cars in retaliation? To my mind it is possible.
I have spent countless hours and days at DCHS since my first visit in 1984. This wonderful oasis holds a special place in my heart. It is still stunning in its beauty but the change in the types of people visiting there, and the things they do and ways they behave while there has caused me to shy away from it except on occasions when its more apt to be quieter and more peaceful because of time and weather considerations. Deep creek itself is a long ribbon oasis of magnificent scenery and I still regularly spend inspirational time appreciating Mother Natures creation there. Disappointing to see DCHS tarnished by various troubles as discussed above, but the trend regarding these things is not going in a good direction. Good luck on your visit if you go.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2009 10:10PM by Wizard.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

should I even go?

tombaird0071566July 21, 2009 06:33AM

jobe1000July 21, 2009 11:36AM

Wizard919July 21, 2009 12:06PM

Paul P.867July 21, 2009 12:35PM

SoCalFreeHiker909July 21, 2009 02:04PM

tombaird007819July 21, 2009 06:44PM

Murray879July 22, 2009 08:45AM

coyote1505July 22, 2009 10:43AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login