Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (92% of Full)

Advanced

Re: whatever moves you

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

July 24, 2005 11:48AM
DCHS is certainly a Gem, a wonderful gift from Mother Nature! Disappointing that not all folks who visit the place, treat it with respect and consideration. Good to know there are many caring people that watch over, and take care of these wonderful springs :-) Well I went out for a hike into Granite Mountains yesterday, to some places I really enjoy out there. The weather as all of you know has been smokin the last couple of weeks, making any thought of hiking out into the bone dry Granite Mtns a withering option. Yesterday however, with the increased moisture from Hurricane Emily entering the area, considerable cloud cover and cooler temperatures were the conditions throughout the day, making a hike to the Crystal Oasis and Helios a must do adventure for my Saturday. So Sparky, Bear and I hiked into the Mtns around 10:30 AM under grey clouds, which were spitting out some raindrops for about a half hour during the first part of our hike. We reached the Crystal Oasis, carrying new white stones ( Quartzite ) to add to my little Stone Henge of sorts, and found rainwater from a passing storm on Friday had partiallly filled the little pool there. I have three plastic barrels that I keep rainwater in for H20 for the pooches, and to put on me to cool myself down with, on these hot summer days. I got water out of the pool and resupplyed my barrels that were down a bit, then gathered some of my things to continue on the second part of my journey, into the Lost Valley, in view of Orion, and Pyramid Mtns. At the end of the valley, where the mostly dry creekbed flows out of it, was my second destination, Helios ( the sun in greek ), a place where water just below the surface of the ground, has turned an area of desert, into a green Oasis of growth. I have planted six cottonwood trees there, and will see if they can rise to provide some great shade, at some point in the future. Of course the many local animals, have other ideas about what these trees are good for, and provide thier trimming expertise on a regular basis :-) When I arrived at Helios, more quail than I could count went flying out of the tall green bushes, and the one tree there ( at type of desert willow I believe ), and flew off down the canyon, in a few waves of busy flight. The Hummingbirds, that make the place thier residence, came out of the Willow Tree to inspect all of the activity, and I was also greeted by many Dragon Flys, which had arrived since my last visit over a month before. At Helios, there is a type of bush that grows quite tall, and is bright green with small, one inch leaves. They are very bueatiful to look at, set against the backdrop of dry, brown, desert hills, and various cactus. I have a number of pictures of the spot, at my Wizard's pictures photo site. In one large group of these bushes, I have a trail into the shady area inside. I have placed numerous sitting rocks in its cooling place of retreat, from Father Sun, and I call it the Tree Cave :-) I have also put a barrel for water in the Tree Cave, again for water for the dogs, to give the Cottonwoods a drink when I visit, and to cool myself off with. Even with the cooler temperatures yesterday, the high humidity made for pretty steamy conditions. I didn't have to use any of my barrel water for cooling, I had plenty dripping out of me, and down my body :-) Finally when the sun, hidden by moist clouds, got low enough in the sky, Sparky, Bear and I began our trip back home, past the Crystal Oasis, and down the mountains back to my truck. It had been a real good day, with lots of great desert scenery to remember. I'm hoping that more storms in the next few days, will fill up the little pool at the Crystal Oasis, another source of water for the local animals, and for me :-) I put one photo taken yesterday at the Crystal Oasis, of the little pool, and the Magic Crystals I have placed around it, at Wizard's pictures, which can be found below, the last photo, on page 45. Its a simple place in the desert, a peaceful spot, where I go to think much, and feel my great appreciation for, and awe of, this " great beyond " that surrounds us :-)
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

whatever moves you

LaughingBear 1168July 22, 2005 05:29PM

Paul P. 621July 22, 2005 06:06PM

LaughingBear 579July 23, 2005 10:39PM

Wizard 608July 24, 2005 11:48AM

Hai-ku from Brother Bear

mojavegreen 628July 24, 2005 05:30PM

Wizard 1177July 24, 2005 10:09PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login