Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (95% of Full)

Advanced

Trip report: 1-22 & 1-23

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

January 24, 2005 08:46PM
This was my first trip for about 7 weeks so I could hardly wait to get to DCHS. And see the changes the recent rain and snow storms had on my favorite get away spot.
I can tell how good a trip will be by noticing the animals. As I drove up Bowen ranch road at @ 4:00pm, I noticed many rabbits. As I arrived at the freedom trail parking lot and opened my truck door a large number of quail fled from the bushes near my truck, about 20-30. I apoligized to the quil. Then I noticed the reason for the quails fear. A beautiful hawk was circling over head. This hawk was an unusual color of brown and not the red tail verioty.
At this time I DO NOT recomend any one who does not have a high clearance vehicle take the JF3 & 4 route. The route is still wet in many places, and has larger than usual ruts.
As I started down the trail I noticed the parking lot had a large amount of errosion. This makes it even closer to the hot springs. When I got to the first steep hill I noticed a big and deep rut 2-3 feet deep. The entire length of the trail down to the bottom of the hill.
As I arrived at the springs a pretty blonde woman wearing only pink panties said "come on over the water is fine."
With out hesitating I dove in and swam across. The water was fine, and she was even finer. But married. She has a sister and said she would bring her back tommorow to meet me. The rest of the day I spent studying her every word. I got a lot of mileage from chiding her to bring her sister back. She was smart and a good conversationalist. And a pleasure for the eyes.
I did not get to observe the changes as much as I normaly would.
But did notice the Az. pool was about 2 feet under the creek. The water tempurature was about 40 degrees. But this woman warmed it up a few degrees, so to speak. I did not notice my thermometer. The pine tree is still beside the anniverery pool. But the root system is compramized. The Willow tree is still there but all of the leaves are gone. I have seen willow trees in Florida do this after storms and come back when the warm air comes back. The root system is smaller also. The anniversery pool also needs some cement work on it cause the upper end is exposed and leaking. The sandy beach above the Az. pool has a sand deposit on it about 15 feet higher than it was before. I counted 5 of the planted by vollenteers trees still living.
Visiters to the hot spring are in for a suprise as the hike around the area. The bushes around the beach directly across from the pools are gone.
After escourting miss pink panties up the trail to Bowen ranch, I eagerly antisapated the next days visit. As I went to the village to rest I spotted a deer in my head lights. He ran in front of my truck for about 100 feet then gracefully troted off the trail, he knew I ment no harm.
On Saturday morning I visited friends in the village. Then noticed the waffle iron is no more, closed. Shoved to the side for progress. I miss their food already.
About 10:30 I was at the freedom trail head again. I took my bonoculars out and looked around the parking lot. As I did this Dave aka. Naked Man parked nearby. We had a nice conversation all the way to the springs. When we arrived I noticed Scott, the RN. was there. Not to be confused with the outlawed Scott. Scott the R.N. and his son Mat are always eager to help me clean up and restore the pools. I could tell it was going to be a productive day. As we started shoveling the sand out of the pools many pretty women came down. Some had no faith in there swimming ability and went home and some came over to the pools. Also John from arrowhead came down from the Bradford ridge trail. He said "The trail is in good condition and very lovely." John always helps clean the springs, and was passing out bags for trash.
At the end of the weekend we had the main pool was almost 3 feet deep. The middle pool was halve full or halve empty from the sand. I dug out the crab cooker also. The anniversary pool was 105 degrees and only a little sandy.
I hiked up and down steam and was amazed at the many changes. I am certain that many here will be also.
I am going to attemped to post a picture of deep creek hot springs from Saturday morning.
Happy soaking !
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Trip report: 1-22 & 1-23

jobe 1094January 24, 2005 08:46PM

Re: Trip report: 1-22 & 1-23

jobe 736January 24, 2005 09:07PM

jobe 731January 25, 2005 06:37AM

Ron 1255January 25, 2005 08:47PM

Wizard 706January 24, 2005 09:34PM

Ron 776January 24, 2005 11:08PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login