Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (86% of Full)

Advanced

Re: BLM Route Designation

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

November 23, 2003 10:46AM
A great report, Laughing Bear, and a great suggestion from Ron. Yes, this has been an informative and productive process. When discussing the routes that lead into the forest, the BLM indicated that they have kept open a couple of routes but that they have coordinated the designation of these routes with the USFS. This was welcome news to me, as I know that these two orginizations do not always work well together, and I hope that coordinated efforts will continue in the future.

I also agree with Ron that it is too bad that Casey Burns will be leaving. He has done a lot of work on this route designation effort, and being a biologist he has been able to do so with an eye for what is best for the species that live in the environment. It was a pleasure meeting him and I wish him well in his future.

As indicated above, enforcement of the new designations will be the most difficult aspect. Many OHV users frequent the area and many are likely to ride on anything that resembles a trail without even knowing whether or not it is legal to do so. Some also cut new trails and sometimes even cut fences to ride wherever they want. I hope that interested local residents will be able to help the BLM in educating OHV users about the new designations and encouraging them to stay on legal routes. I also hope that the BLM will be able to do occaisional sweeps in the area and will cite anyone not in compliance.

One suggestion that came up in the meeting is to report noncompliance to the sheriffs in an effort to stimulate them to do some coordinated enforcement with the BLM, which lacks the resources to do much enforcement.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

BLM Route Designation

LaughingBear 1076November 21, 2003 11:25PM

Ron 700November 22, 2003 10:59AM

sycamorelaughing 976November 23, 2003 10:46AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login