Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (77% of Full)

Advanced

New years eve at D.C.H.S.

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

January 03, 2012 08:06PM
First of all, I drove to the Freedom trail head arriving at 2 pm Friday (12-30). I planed a quick trip to the springs and car camped at my regular spot which I had cleaned up the week before. When I got back to car camp I smelled some thing awful. I found that some one had used the bush there for a rest area. So I drove further north to a different camp.
While at the springs I talked to a group of people from Costa Rico. I liked talking to a Health Food store owner from Mote Verde who was so interesting I hiked out with him and his family of 7. When I got back to my truck The sky was alive with pink and orange clouds. But, that terrible smell.
When I woke up in the morning it was too cold to get out of my sleeping bag. When I got to my water bottle there was a thin layer of ice on it's surface. You know what that means.
There were almost no clouds in the morning, no wind and perfect weather for any thing you might imagine.
I arrived at the springs a few minuets after 8 am. When I got there the ice I slipped upon the week before was still there. So I crossed the creek at the beach. When I crossed an elderly gentleman and his lady friend were collecting trash from the night shift as they called it. This was a very cool couple whom had come down the Bradford ridge. They said they lived near Lake Arrowhead. I thanked them for their service and fixed them some hot chocolate which they enjoyed. They related a story about hiking in at 4 am and observing a hemp fest at the pools. We all agreed that this IS a great country and a wonderful place for such an event. While talking about this a bearded hobbit looking guy with a 4 foot tall bong crossed the creek.
They left shortly after this with 4 bags of trash. Saying they had children and grand children to tend too.
As they climbed the Bradford ridge I saw several twenty somethings crossing the creek heading back to the reality of the city. Several regulars showed up and thought I had cleaned up the springs ! Then I noticed the Serenity pool appeared different some how. Some one has dammed the exit there up making it about 6-8 inches deeper. I do not know why I did not notice this the day before. The day before I was only there maybe 2 hours tops, but I talked so much I must have been distracted. ?
After talking to some regulars about regular stuff A group of maybe 20 came down the trail. They were from the Oak Springs ranch. Some of them were from the Moon tribe. They told me about many new things that are going on up there. They told me about a reforesting project that will start in April. They said they had started a 401K nonprofit corporation. They said they were planting 10,000 trees and invited me to come up and help. They also told me they have a rebuilt fire truck up there too. And were now part of the fire prevention team helping the Forest Service. All GOOD news !!! They also told me about a common friend who is pregnant and expecting in March. I told them it seems like next year will be better because of all these good things they have initiated.
The Oak Springs/Moon tribe group were there 2 maybe 3 hours then were off to go shopping they said.
When they left the springs it was quit for @ 1 hour then a regular amount of day trippers came and went. Many first timers seemed to fall in love with this beautiful oasis in between the forest and mountains. No worries, no complaints, no problems to speak of, just PEACE to every 1.
Happy new year, no I really mean it. REALLY !
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

New years eve at D.C.H.S.

jobe1912January 03, 2012 08:06PM

Re: New years eve at D.C.H.S.

Wizard915January 04, 2012 12:11PM

jobe803January 04, 2012 04:41PM

Wizard1509January 04, 2012 09:33PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login