All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

July 03, 2019 12:32PM
A little late to post but I finally made it up to Mono Hot Springs, on June 18-21. We had a group of 10 and we stayed in the cabins with just beds and a bathroom, brought coolers for our food. Brought lots of food as we heard the food at the restaurant is meh and the convenience store is priced high bc of the remoteness. On our drive up it was 100 in the Fresno area, dropped to 84 by the time we got Mono. Would have been ideal for camping but not all my friend's have the gear.

Great views, very quiet. Kaiser pass was very easy to drive, it opened on June 6. Apparently the snow held up until end of May and in the beginning of June started melting rapidly. We were able to do the hike to Devil's bathtub, although a good portion was flooded and required walking on downed trees for a quarter miles over the river marsh that had overtaken the trail. The mosquitoes were OUT. Hadn't experienced that many before, especially during sunset in that flooded area. There was very little snow and the Devil's bathtub was rapidly thawing, flowing down to fill up the man-made Thomas Edison Lake. Only encountered 4 people on the whole hike.

I did a lil early morning hot springing to check out the various concrete ones and natural ones. They weren't very hot but the air temp stayed in the mid 80s so we didn't need em super hot. My favorite natural spring was definitely Lil Eden, our whole group of 10 was able to enjoy it without anybody else, whereas the other smaller pools always had a couple people and weren't big enough for us I'd say it was around 98F, there were a variety of water bugs and beetles still able to live at that temperature that didn't make the experience so relaxing. I did find a hotter one person little hole directly under Lil Eden probably 101F. The bathhouse in the resort was rustic and it was nice to draw a bath of hot springs water around 103F. . We also spent half a day at Doris Lake which I was told is fed by a spring, making it warmer. It was very refreshing to swim in and we did some jumps off of the rocks. It was a lovely place, I wouldn't say its my favorite hot spring, but being so close to the Ansel Adams/John Muir wilderness without the crowds of Yosemite was really relaxing and enjoyable. Here are some pics:

Devil's Bathtub

Lil Eden

Lake Edison

Doris Lake
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Mono Hot Springs

paulespo1806July 03, 2019 12:32PM

Re: Mono Hot Springs

Paul P.600July 04, 2019 07:56AM

Re: Mono Hot Springs

Trailgal878September 08, 2019 01:31PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login