Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (85% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Los Padres National Forest Announces Road Closure

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

March 29, 2011 11:32AM
If the paved road at the top of the ridge (El Camino Cielo?) is still open, you can park at Cold Springs Flat trailhead and hike 5 miles (one-way) to Little Caliente. That's how I always go, because I wouldn't want to risk driving my little Toyota Corolla over that treacherous dirt road, even when the gates are open. It's a nice hike. You do have to cross the Santa Ynez river, but my guess is that's likely wadable. There's some occasional-mucky bushwacking near Gibraltar reservoir, but it's doable.

Big Caliente is also doable from the same parking area, but it's a *much* longer hike (9 miles, one-way). I've done it as a day-hike, but you need to get started early and move quickly. If you're looking to camp, you can be more relaxed about it. In fact, I would almost recommend Big Caliente precisely *because* the road to it is closed right now. My understanding is that it's usually the more visited of the two springs in the area, so the non-ease of access right now might make it less rowdy and therefore more enjoyable.

Pix of Little Caliente hike from there here.

Pix of Big Caliente hike from there here.

The last pix in both albums have topo maps, and links to a precise hiking description (for Little Caliente), and links to what I've drawn out on Googlemaps.

Joel
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Los Padres National Forest Announces Road Closure

Rick2942March 24, 2011 04:16PM

Sam D.1206March 25, 2011 03:59PM

Rick1463March 25, 2011 04:56PM

Sam D.1062March 26, 2011 01:02AM

Paul P.1398March 27, 2011 09:35AM

JoelTDahl2708March 29, 2011 11:32AM

Sam D.1028March 29, 2011 02:20PM

Paul P.1229March 29, 2011 09:32PM

JoelTDahl1709March 31, 2011 09:37AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login