Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (75% of Full)

Advanced

Western Sierra

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

April 04, 2009 10:57PM
The family and I just got back from a week trip up to the western foothills of the Sierras, staying in Angels Camp. Last Sunday after we arrived we drove on up to near Grass Valley ( up HWY 49 ) to visit Nevada Naturist ( he post here occasionally ) who currently lives and works in that area. In the middle of the week we went on another day trip down to a favorite spot of Ricks, Yosemite :-) Lots of falling water right now with the snow melt. We hiked up the Half Dome trail up to where we could see Nevada Falls. I pointed out to the family another route I once ( we did not hike it ) took years ago when racing my brother up to the top of Half Dome. Its a canyon that heads north of the Emerald Pool just up the river from Vernall Falls, then the route heads east across the south side of Half Dome then up a very steep hill to catch the trail again. My brother beat me, running up the traditional 8.2 mile trail the whole way ( his time about one hour and forty minutes ). My " short cut " ended up being a bit challenging, and my time up was about two hours and ten minutes. The veiw from up there is just awesome.

Went up to Big Tree ( giant sequioias ) east of Arnold one day. Took a tour down into Moaning Caverns near Murphy which features a 165 foot old spiral staircase ( salvaged from a ship ) made out of metal that you descend on into one of the big rooms of this particular cavern. The oaks and other trees were beginning to sprout their spring leaves and the hills were a wonderful green everywhere went. I didn't realize how many people live up in that Mother Load country. So much interesting history to be seen and read about in the local museums. Took a walk through an old cemetary in Angels Camp with the headstones of people who lived and died in the early to late 1800's. How amazed those folks would have been to have seen the changes that have occurred since their time.

We just got home this evening and I'll put some photos up at my Flickr site from the trip and will post here ( as soon as I get the time ) when they are available.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Western Sierra

Wizard 2105April 04, 2009 10:57PM

Re: Western Sierra

Rick 893April 05, 2009 01:22AM

Wizard 738April 05, 2009 09:01PM

Rick 714April 05, 2009 09:35PM

Wizard 789April 05, 2009 09:02PM

Wizard 793April 08, 2009 03:11PM

Rick 800April 08, 2009 04:22PM

Wizard 763April 08, 2009 08:45PM

Rick 776April 08, 2009 09:02PM

Wizard 720April 08, 2009 09:28PM

MINERALKING 743April 10, 2009 10:36AM

Wizard 1157April 10, 2009 09:21PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login