Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (100% of Full)

Advanced

Remington Hot Springs Trip Report

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

April 19, 2011 10:49AM
Hi folks,

I camped at the Kern River this past weekend. Checked out Delonegha, Miracle and Remington hot springs, plus the Kern River Brewing company. As I was informed on various internet sites, Delonegha is private property now and therefore no longer accessible, and Miracle was destroyed a number of years ago. Not that I didn't believe what I'd been told, but my explorer's instinct left me with a compunction to check them out for myself anyway. So I eyeballed Delonegha from the road, and hiked to the still-flowing source of Miracle. Perhaps someday one or both of those two springs will be useable/open again, and now I know how to get to them.

Most of my time, however, was spent at Remington Hot Springs, which is every bit the delight they're reported to be. Since Remington is very accessible from the road, there was a steady stream of people soaking at the Remington tubs, but all whom I met there turned out to be very pleasant company.

Also met a gentleman named Bryan who is one of the volunteer caretakers of Remington Hot Springs. Nice guy, and clearly does a lot of hard work and cares for the springs a lot. If anybody else from this forum makes it out to Remington, please help Bryan out by packing out all your trash and any trash you find there that other people failed to pack out. Also, there's a white bucket kept by the springs, which you're supposed to dip into the tubs and use to rinse the grit off your feet before you get in the springs -- this helps to keep the tubs clean.

The uppermost, rectangular tub was quite warm, and measured 108F on my thermometer. 110F right inside the source. The second-highest tub was 102F or 104F. The lowest tub is cold right now, because the Kern river is just high enough right now to overflow the edge of lowest tub, but not the other two.

I also had a good deal of fun going off the ropeswing on the tree that's just a ways upstream of the tubs. The fun part was to spill over the wall from the middle tub, from warm water to cold, and let the eddy current that's right there sweep you upstream to the ropeswing. Get out, go off the ropeswing,* and then swim out to the edge of the main current. Let the current sweep you downstream, then swim a few feet closer to the shore, let the eddy current catch you again, and then it will bring you right back to the tubs. Climb over the wall again, go from cold water to hot. Lots of fun!

*One should go off the rope-swing feet-first only. No fancy flips or anything. The water where you land is deep enough, but you will touch the sandy bottom with your feet, so anything other than feet first is likely not a good idea. Actually, flips and nonesuch off of ropeswings are usually a bad idea, safety-wise, anyways, given the danger of getting tangled.

Found a great campsite downriver of the springs -- I'd heard here and from the locals that it's legal and free to camp in that area, for up to two weeks.

Also checked out the Kern River Brewing company, which I heartily recommend. Sadly, I could only have one beer, since I had to drive afterwards. But that one -- their Sequoia Red -- was quite tasty.

Thanks again to Sam D. on soakersforum.com, for all the tips on the springs and on Kern River Brewing.

Joel

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2011 01:25PM by JoelTDahl.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Remington Hot Springs Trip Report

JoelTDahl8480April 19, 2011 10:49AM

Re: Remington Hot Springs Trip Report

Rick1975April 19, 2011 01:24PM

Sam D.1792April 20, 2011 04:43PM

JoelTDahl1792April 27, 2011 11:48AM

nickdziegler2147May 23, 2011 07:42PM

Sam D.3021May 24, 2011 01:19AM

Remington under water again

Sam D.1477August 11, 2011 05:59PM

Re: Remington under water again

Rick1606August 11, 2011 08:42PM

xkrazybaby67x1288April 08, 2012 07:43PM

Sam D.1328April 09, 2012 11:09AM

xkrazybaby67x1298April 09, 2012 11:25AM

Sam D.2060April 09, 2012 02:01PM

DYING IN THE KERN RIVER: Drownings up 75 percent this high water year

Sam D.3552August 17, 2011 01:51AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login