Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (89% of Full)

Advanced

I-15 Devore Project

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

August 23, 2004 04:46PM
http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist8/i15devore/

Project Description

Caltrans will reconstruct concrete pavement in both directions on the two outside lanes of Interstate 15 (I-15) from Sierra Avenue in the City of Fontana to the I-215 junction, a 3.4 mile stretch in Devore. This $15 million contract is scheduled to begin in August 2004 and be completed by February 2005. The project has been termed a “Demonstration Project.” It utilizes accelerated around-the-clock construction techniques with incentives that require greater traffic impacts over a shorter period compared to conventional methods. It is our goal to replace the aging pavement with minimum traffic delays, but we need your help. We are asking the public to support this fast-track pavement approach and modify daily commute route and times through the project area during peak periods (see “Suggested Alternate Routes&#8221winking smiley.

Project Background

I-15 is a heavily traveled route. Over 80,000 vehicles use the I-15 for their daily commute between the high desert and southern points such as San Bernardino, Los Angeles, and Orange counties. The I-15 also serves as a major truck route for goods movement.
Pavement reconstruction on freeways in urban areas has become one of the greatest needs and challenges facing the transportation system in California and across the nation. Pavement reconstruction requires multiple lane closures and has typically become a nighttime operation to avoid extreme traffic delays. Nighttime construction windows limit construction production requiring projects of this magnitude to take well over a year to complete. Other disadvantages include a higher cost for construction materials that have a shorter life expectancy and safety concerns for workers in close proximity to motorists at night. This “Demonstration Project” dedicates one directional roadbed to construction activities, while switching all traffic to the adjacent directional roadbed separated by a barrier, but with reduced capacity.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

I-15 Devore Project

Rick 956August 23, 2004 04:46PM

Re: I-15 Devore Project

Rick 880August 25, 2004 02:56PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login