Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (100% of Full)

Advanced

Re: I-15 Construction

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

August 23, 2004 04:43PM
Northbound/Southbound Lane Additions

Description:

The scope of this project includes widening and improving Interstate 15 in both southbound and northbound directions between the City of Victorville and Route 58 in the City of Barstow. The proposed project will improve the level of service and safety by adding a third lane in each direction.

Background:

This segment of I-15 was initially constructed in 1958 as a four-lane freeway/expressway. The new alignment was shorter in distance by five miles, and replaced the National Trails Highways, U.S. Route 66 and U.S. Route 91 between the cities of Victorville and Barstow. By 1972, all remaning interchanges in the corridor were constructed, and I-15 was completed as a four-lane freeway between "D" Street and the junction with I-40 in Barstow. By 1980, the freeway capacity became inadequate for handling the traffic demand of I-15 and I-40 merging in the corridor. Levels of service deteriorated and congestion became a recurring problem on weekends during peak hour travel periods.

Need and Purpose:

The purpose of this project is to provide continuity of interregional travel conditions and freeway capacity by adding a third southbound/northbound mixed flow-lane to the existing facility. This project is needed to remove a capacity bottleneck and attain a level of service consistent with Caltrans Route Concept and Interregional Transportation Strategic Plan. Improving safety on this route is also major consideration. The capacity of this highway segment has not been increased since its completion as a four-lane freeway in 1972. At that time, average daily traffic (ADT) was 15,000 vehicles per day. ADT is currently 50,000 vehicles per day and is forecasted to reach 100,000 by the year 2025.

Construction of the southbound lane will start in the spring of 2002 and finish in the summer of 2003.

The northbound lane will start construction in the spring 2003 and finish by the spring of 2005.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

I-15 Construction

Rick 1070August 23, 2004 04:42PM

Rick 538August 23, 2004 04:43PM

Paul P. 566August 24, 2004 12:49PM

LaughingBear 593August 24, 2004 05:45PM

Paving Bowen Ranch Rd.?

mojavegreen 996August 25, 2004 06:05PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login