Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (88% of Full)

Advanced

Enjoying a "Scott-free" day

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

June 04, 2004 11:04AM
I went to the hot springs yesterday. It was just about as perfect a day as anyone could ask for. Scott was not there, and there were no "community trash bags" hanging in the trees. Some hikers on the PCT were enjoying their first visit to the springs, and expressed great appreciation to all the wonderful people who help to keep it clean.

The few other visitors were mostly of the "naturist" variety, and all were responsible for their own trash. I spoke with a few first-time visitors and encouraged them to write up trip reports for consideration of the next DCV newsletter. Personally, I would like to see reports from first-time visitors as a regular feature of DCV newsletters.

Paul and I watered the trees and scoured the area for trash. Very little trash!!! When I went up to the shady area by the trees where DCV usually meets, scouring for trash and cigarette butts, a couple there told me that I wouldn't find much because they had cleaned the area up. They were so right!! My thanks to them for a fine job.

I did find some cigarette butts and a few small items, plus a few glass bottles. Also a pile of flyers from Scott had been left and were blowing across the ground until the hikers from the PCT gathered them together and gave them to me. I was glad to see that he put "NOT affiliated with DCV" prominantly on his flyer. Another visitor told me that Scott was there on Wednesday and burned up a lot of trash including some black plastic that smoked heavily and annoyed some visitors.

We managed to take out the last of the bags of trash that remained from when Scott had his encampment. The only items remaining now are the teepee tent that Scott used for his composting toilet and a few large white buckets. The buckets can probably be left for watering the trees. The teepee tent will be a difficult item to remove because the three poles used for it are heavy metal bars. We may have to dismantle it and take out one bar at a time.

On our way out we talked to a few people coming in for night use. We let them know, of course, that that was not legal, but had nice conversations with them nonetheless. They all said they were not bringing glass, would not build a fire, and would not leave any trash. We spoke to a couple about our concerns about candle wax. They agreed to help us spread the word to night users to please, please use something to catch the wax and to remove the remains.

Peace
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Enjoying a "Scott-free" day

sycamorelaughing 1056June 04, 2004 11:04AM

Re: Enjoying a "Scott-free" day

LaughingBear 651June 04, 2004 08:49PM

Wizard 652June 04, 2004 10:26PM

sycamorelaughing 606June 06, 2004 08:38AM

LaughingBear 611June 04, 2004 10:36PM

Arizona Mike 553June 04, 2004 11:05PM

Wizard 540June 04, 2004 11:09PM

Arizona Mike 636June 06, 2004 09:19PM

LaughingBear 629June 04, 2004 11:04PM

LaughingBear 604June 06, 2004 09:38AM

sycamorelaughing 557June 06, 2004 11:36AM

Ron 1096June 08, 2004 03:23PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login