Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (88% of Full)

Advanced

DCV meeting/ 2-28

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

February 29, 2004 10:23AM
Yesterday the Munchkins and I hit DCHS by way of the Bradford Ridge Trail. I chose that route because of the higher stream levels, opting to avoid 6 trips across the creek, in arriving and leaving, since I would have to first wade my gear across, then a trip each carrying my little offspringers across, knowing they would not be into making contact with the currently cold Deep Creek waters. Shortly after we arrived we noticed Ron across the Lagoon getting ready to cross. We spent the day around the Womb, Serenity, and Crab Cooker pools. The flooding of Thursday had left mud on the rocks in many areas. Ron and I spent a good deal of time, with shovel and bucket clean off the walking areas around these pools. At one point a big yellow helicopter circled overhead then eventually landed on a ridge just east of DCHS. We later found out that this was actually an illegal landing in the USFS forest lands, and these folks who had come down to soak in the hot pools made a hasty retreat when three USFS rangers showed up on the opposite side of the creek. Since the creek waters were high the rangers chose to not cross the creek. Ron went to talk with them. Ron has been told by USFS ranger Brad Burns that they will be sending one of thier personel down to DCHS on a " once a week " basis in a response to our DCV suggestion that more of a USFS presence in the area would be benificial. One of the USFS rangers, Mike Pool I believe, indicated to Ron that the USFS considers the DCV efforts to be a real benifit to the area. He also supprisingly enough, to Ron and I, suggested that DCHS might have been close already if it wasn't for the efforts of DCV. Quite a comendation I must say. We as individual volunteers within DCV, as well as all the rest of the independent volunteers who do a great deal beyond our group effort, will continue to do what we can to keep DCHS a clean, and a friendly outdoor destination for those who love such places. DCHS is a special unique landscape, and is certainly worthy of protection. After doing alot of cleanup Ron and I spent the rest of the time soaking and chatting until around 4PM when left. As the Munchkins and I were hiking out the Bradford Ridge Trail we ran into a group of 5 visitors who had come in on that same trail and were heading out too. We spent some time walking with them and I answered a number of thier questions about the area. They were quite impressed with the Munchkins hiking abilities. We eventually left these folks in the dust :-) After that we headed home where we met Ron, AZ, Sycamore Laughing and Paul for Pizza and Boxcar Wine. I had invited them all earlier and we had a great time talking, laughing, and discussed ma" once a week " basis in a response to our DCV suggestion that more of a USFS presence in the area would be benificial. One of the USFS rangers, Mike Pool I believe, indicated to Ron that the USFS considers the DCV efforts to be a real benifit to the area. He also supprisingly enough, to Ron and I, suggested that DCHS might have been close already if it wasn't for the efforts of DCV. Quite a comendation I must say. We as individual volunteers within DCV, as well as all the rest of the independent volunteers who do a great deal beyond our group effort, will continue to do what we can to keep DCHS a clean, and a friendly outdoor destination for those who love such places. DCHS is a special unique landscape, and is certainly worthy of protection. After doing alot of cleanup Ron and I spent the rest of the time soaking and chatting until around 4PM when left. As the Munchkins and I were hiking out the Bradford Ridge Trail we ran into a group of 5 visitors who had come in on that same trail and were heading out too. We spent some time walking with them and I answered a number of thier questions about the area. They were quite impressed with the Munchkins hiking abilities. We eventually left these folks in the dust :-) After that we headed home where we met Ron, AZ, Sycamore Laughing and Paul for Pizza and Boxcar Wine. I had invited them all earlier and we had a great time talking, laughing, and discussed many issues. Since AZ, Sycamore and Paul were not able to attend the meeting at DCHS we kinda had our meeting at my digs. No official minutes this time around unless Ron wants to add to what I have written here. It was another fantastic day at DCHS, and we also greatly enjoyed our Pizza Party and visits with the other DCV members at our home :-)ny issues. Since AZ, Sycamore and Paul were not able to attend the meeting at DCHS we kinda had our meeting at my digs. No official minutes this time around unless Ron wants to add to what I have written here. It was another fantastic day at DCHS, and we also greatly enjoyed our Pizza Party and visits with the other DCV members at our home :-)
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

DCV meeting/ 2-28

Wizard 1059February 29, 2004 10:23AM

Re: DCV meeting/ 2-28

Wizard 663February 29, 2004 10:26AM

sycamorelaughing 679February 29, 2004 12:32PM

Wizard 710March 01, 2004 09:36AM

Ron 1107March 11, 2004 09:13PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login