All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

February 20, 2004 08:13AM
Hi everyone! yesterday was an absolutly beautiful day in the Deep Creek / Juniper Flats area. The sun came out after the rain and the hills were alive with the sounds of birds chirping their joyful songs. No wind, just fresh air and sunshine. Things are starting to turn green and soon it will be wildflower time. There was a dusting of snow on Luna mountain as far down as its base.

I decided to check out the BLM/USFS boundry for USFS Ranger Burns and I found some extensive motorcycle and quad damage within the Deep Creek roadless area originating from fences cut by OHV "recreationalists" on the BLM side of the fence. The first big problem I encountered was at the terminus of the proposed and controversial J1299 where it hits 3N59A. There is a legal horse and hiking trail at this point and motorcycle riders have cut the fence next to the horse stepover. Multiple fresh motorcycle tracks have were observed going through the cut despite clear markings indicating prohibitation of motorized traffic, providing a gateway for motorcycles that are tearing up the roadless area.

The second big problem area I found was along 3N59A to the east of the trail to the hotsprings. Again I found a cut fence with multiple quad and motorcycle tracks going through and the hills are really chewed up all around. A new motorcycle hillclimb is evident within the Deep Creek roadless area. I took pictures here as well.

The third cut fence I found was in the cattle allotment fence behind my place. Again, motorcycle tracks go through, turn around and return out the opening. No doubt, the motorcyclists responsible for the vandalism are local Apple Valley residents familiar with the area. All acts of vandalism are being documented and reported to the proper officials. This particular act was purely malicious as the tracks went nowhere.

Ranger Burns of the USFS would like information in regard to OHV riders in the Deep Creek roadless area. He is very interested in apprehending these non compliant OHV riders. He can be reached at the Sky Forest ranger station.

d. A new motorcycle hillclimb is evident within the Deep Creek roadless area. I took pictures here as well.

The third cut fence I found was in the cattle allotment fence behind my place. Again, motorcycle tracks go through, turn around and return out the opening. No doubt, the motorcyclists responsible for the vandalism are local Apple Valley residents familiar with the area. All acts of vandalism are being documented and reported to the proper officials. This particular act was purely malicious as the tracks went nowhere.

Ranger Burns of the USFS would like information in regard to OHV riders in the Deep Creek roadless area. He is very interested in apprehending these non compliant OHV riders. He can be reached at the Sky Forest ranger station.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

OHV vandalism continues

LaughingBear 1574February 20, 2004 08:13AM

Subversion of public process

mojavegreen 618February 20, 2004 09:30AM

Re: OHV vandalism continues

Wizard 603February 20, 2004 10:09AM

LaughingBear 657February 20, 2004 11:24AM

Rick 612February 20, 2004 11:32AM

moose 656February 20, 2004 12:05PM

mojavegreen 785February 20, 2004 09:14PM

LaughingBear 777February 20, 2004 05:33PM

Paul P. 604February 20, 2004 06:12PM

sycamorelaughing 636February 21, 2004 02:05PM

Paul P. 1125February 23, 2004 04:47PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login