Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (85% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Sequoias for the SB Mountains?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

December 28, 2003 08:47PM
I can relate to this one with all of my tree planting efforts since the Willow Fire. Seedlings require much nuturing in the first few years of life and must be watered weekly from May until October until the root system becomes established. I chose to avoid planting native California Junipers due to the cost ($ 100) at a local nursery and instead planted non native Allepo and Elderica pines along with Arizona Ash and Desert Willow on my ranch. The Alleppos are just about bullet proof and thrive in poor soils with little water and extreme temperature variations.

Sequoias are great magnificant trees and the benifits of planting this non native will undoubtably provide habitat for wildlife while protecting priceless watershed. The challenge is getting the roots established until the tree can survive on its own, (3-5 years at least). Maybe I will try a couple and see what happens. Thanks to Katrina for digging up this article.....maybe the idea will take root!
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Sequoias for the SB Mountains?

katrina island 1044December 28, 2003 02:16PM

Re: Sequoias for the SB Mountains?

LaughingBear 1008December 28, 2003 08:47PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login