Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (89% of Full)

Advanced

Re: As to the closure...

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

November 25, 2003 10:19PM
I think this closure has to do with the fact that there remains lots of unburned lands that are North, North East, and North west of the mountain communities like Crestline, all the way east to the Green Valley lake area. The lands to the south of these communities are largely burnt now. I'll bet there is alot of heat and anger regarding this situation of hundreds of burnt homes in those areas, even lots of finger pointing about the reasons. There are no doubt thousands of folks, who are the owners of thousands of homes that remain unburnt in these communites, that were facing dire peril from these late summer fires. Just the homes around Arrow Head lake are worth many, many millions of dollars. All of the business and homeowners in those areas ( the ones that didn't get burned out ) now have bluntly seen how far these big fires can go, and how close they came to thier worst nightmare. All those businesses and homeowners have surely been talking it up big time to the USFS that something needs to be done about these big fire threats. This OLD fire burnt all the way up the hills, clear over the top of them into the desert in Hesperia, and over the hills skirting the very edge of Lake Arrowhead, blasting the Hook Creek area and on into Deep Creek around Devils Hole and even further north. I think for these many people, the areas in a Northerly direction from them , like the area around DCHS as part of this, being largly unburnt, present the possibility, give the right conditions, like we saw this late summer, of producing another nightmare fire heading toward these communities from the opposite directin of the other fires. The Willow Fire at its origin, under hot Santa Ana wind conditions would have headed essential right for the community of Lake Arrowhead. As it turned out, the winds in that fire pushed initially North, then eventually to the East. I think the USFS is responding to the ongoing situation of dealing with the aftermath of these devestating fires, and with influence from fears of the mountain communities, closing these unburned areas within the San Bernardino Forest which are unburned close by, areas looked upon as a serious threat. The thing is, much of the forest trees are dead, more are dying everyday, and the threat to communities, is showing itself to be a worsening situation. 85 to 90% of the Bark Beetle killed trees are still unburned. There are still many routes from lowlands to these higher forest areas for big fires to travel under the right circumstances. I don't think anyone truly believes that the USFS, or any agency, can remove a meaningful or significant portion of the dead trees in the expansive San Bernardino Forest. I think sooner or later, these thickly overgrown and disease ridden areas will have to burn. So what is the policy going to be, keep the unburned areas closed until they burn, and when they burn, keep these same areas closed again untill some " Expert " deems that the public can " safely " go back to spend time in whats left. Unfortunatly DCHS, being in the San Bernardino National Forest area ( at the extreme edge ) will get impacted with policies which will in my view, not many times make sense in terms of its specific situation, but this clothing optional hotsprings and the community of visitors who frequent it, will see thier interest far down the list as compared to the economic power and influence of the many business and homeowners in all the nearby mountain communities, and thier concerns and interest. I do find satisfaction in the work we do as the DCV group, and in the considerate contributions of time and effort of its various members. We all know DCHS to be a wonderful place to spend time, and I know many of us will not stop in our efforts to have it available for future rewarding visits.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

As to the closure...

miguelbgood 1331November 24, 2003 06:50PM

LaughingBear 580November 24, 2003 08:05PM

Wizard 657November 24, 2003 08:19PM

jobe 590November 24, 2003 08:50PM

Rick 660November 24, 2003 09:12PM

jobe 670November 24, 2003 11:40PM

LaughingBear 602November 25, 2003 07:22AM

jobe 623November 25, 2003 09:42AM

Wizard 640November 25, 2003 10:19PM

katrina island 692November 26, 2003 01:22AM

Ron 638November 27, 2003 09:20AM

mojavegreen 1094November 29, 2003 12:43PM

Scofflaws & Closure

mojavegreen 824November 26, 2003 07:15AM

LaughingBear 704November 26, 2003 04:14PM

LaughingBear 614November 27, 2003 11:18AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login