All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

August 26, 2003 06:51AM
Yes Rick. Local residents along with members of the Sierra Club chapter met with BLM managers Tim Read, Roxie Trost and BLM OHV program coordinator Mike Ahrens during a field trip last week. We observed where this trail actually runs through the cultural area in the Juniper ACEC as well as erosive damage from illegal OHV abuse in the area of the Village. We also visited Arrastre Canyon near the VP mine to observe damage there as well. It was a good day hiking in the area.

I am not about to take on the whole US gonernment but the battle lines have been clearly defined in Juniper Flats. This is just one trail in the WEMO plan. The OHV intersts have plenty of room to ride at Stoddard Wells or Johnston Valley if off road is their kick. The Juniper Flats sub region does provide ample OHV opportunities with connections to the USFS lands for those who can stay on designated routes. The major problem is lack of compliance with the law and little law enforcement focused upon these illegal OHV riders.

Hikers, equestrian riders and wildlife watchers have been left out of the WEMO plans for the area. To be a true multi use area, the needs of these other groups must be addressed. OHV use is incompatable with these activities. Why are the OHV intrests getting the whole pie? The resident wildlife needs protection around their water sources as well . Thanks for your intrest Rick and I hope I answered your question.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Fair Public Hearings?

mojavegreen 971August 25, 2003 01:28PM

Re: Fair Public Hearings?

Free our Forests 653August 25, 2003 04:50PM

katrina island 608August 25, 2003 05:41PM

jobe 588August 25, 2003 07:43PM

LaughingBear 698August 25, 2003 09:03PM

Rick 625August 25, 2003 09:13PM

LaughingBear 668August 26, 2003 06:51AM

Free our Forests 589August 26, 2003 07:24PM

Paul P. 1041August 26, 2003 10:17PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login