Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (87% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Forest Service Fee Demonstration Site

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

July 06, 2001 02:00PM
<b>Devil's advocate role follows:</b>

<i>Our public lands are our heritage and our birthright.</i>

Birthright? Really, that's just an emotional argument without any basis in fact. There is no God given right to us of the land.

<i>We already support the public lands agencies and our public lands through our federal taxes.</i>

Tax support for the forests has declined tremendously and the lack of funding has resulted in a lot of problems. Besides, why shouldn't people using the forest provide more of the funding than those that don't? While the public as a whole gets benefits from the forests those that use them for recreation get more. Eight cents a day is hardly excessive.

<i>Fee Demo sets a precedent of classism where only those who can afford to recreate will be able to do so.</i>

That's true of life in general. It takes money to drive to the forests--a lot more than the eight cents a day an annual Adventure Pass costs. Nobody is arguing that we should get free cars and gasoline too.

<i>Those who can't afford it will be barred from their own public lands.</i>

You are exagerating. The program only bars them from parking their cars.

<i>Fee Demo has nothing to do with the stewardship of public lands. It is, in fact, the beginning of an attempt by corporate America to privatize and commercialize our public lands.</i>

That's just pathetic paranoia.

<i>The Forest Service is basing the success of its fee projects on compliance. The threatened $100.00 fine is nothing less than extortion!</i>

How does this parking fine differ from any of the others are society imposes for not complying with the law?

<i>People need a place to go - relatively free and un-fettered from society's pressures. Our public lands are the last of these places, and Fee Demo destroys this ideal.</i>

How does paying a yearly parking fee destroy one's ability to get away from society's pressures?

<i>Businesses that sell passes are selling-off our freedoms. These vendors make a profit from the loss of one of our basic rights as American citizens: our right to access our public lands.</i>

They get 10% of the fee. That's hardly a big profit and hardly even worth their time. REI doesn't even collect their part (you can get a pass for $27 there). The lands are still accessable without the pass anyway.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Forest Service Fee Demonstration Site

Rick 1489July 05, 2001 03:10PM

free our forests 691July 06, 2001 11:57AM

Rick 775July 06, 2001 11:58AM

free our forests 702July 06, 2001 12:24PM

Rick 777July 06, 2001 02:00PM

free our forests 901July 06, 2001 01:11PM

free our forests 774July 06, 2001 01:44PM

copyright

Webmaster 703July 06, 2001 02:13PM

free our forests 731July 06, 2001 02:41PM

Rick 912July 06, 2001 03:03PM

free our forests 731July 06, 2001 03:12PM

Rick 688July 06, 2001 03:29PM

DCR 919July 06, 2001 06:34PM

Rick 797July 06, 2001 06:43PM

DCR 1144July 06, 2001 08:18PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login