All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

June 28, 2001 09:57PM
<A HREF="http://www.sbsun.com/default.asp?puid=3874&spuid=3874&indx=948501&article=on">Sun Newspaper article concerning the closure</A>

There are going to be quite a few changes in the way the desert is used and accessed due to the settlement of the lawsuit between the BLM and Southwest Center for Biodiversity, PEER (Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility) and the Sierra Club.

Right now the entire desert is being mapped for vehicle routes, horse trails, motorcycle trails, and hiking trails. Many of these routes will be closed for environmental concerns. Areas where there are Desert Tortoises, endangered plants, and just maybe where there are Arroyo Toads (like Deep Creek).

The BLM call the Deep Creek area "Juniper Flats" and the road planning for the area is last to be mapped. Many of the roads have been closed (verticle mulched) based on the emergency power provided by the fire. Usually to close routes, there is a whole process of public involvement and NEPA (National Environmental Protection Act).

Deep Creek has been designated as a "roadless area" by the U. S. Forest Service. Roadless areas are to be considered for "wilderness" designation according to information on the Forest Service's website. If Deep Creek were designated as a "wilderness" area, there would be no vehicles allowed beyond the boundary (wherever that may be), no man made structures, and no mechanized equipment. I believe you may also be required to make reservations to visit the area (correct me if I am wrong).

I have been asking these agencies if there are any changes planned for the area. The response from the BLM was so evasive it provided zero insight. The BLM have refused to keep me advised of public meetings for over a year even though I repeatedly requested in writing to be notified. The Forest Service did not even respond to my letter.

The future of Deep Creek is being decided now. If you care about what the future will be, I encourage you to contact these agencies and request information. Become aware.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

BLM close area to 4-wheel

katrina 1330June 28, 2001 09:57PM

Re:

Joe Doe 649July 01, 2001 05:34PM

Re:

Paul P. 1059July 02, 2001 08:48AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login