Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (99% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Access to the Hot Springs plus questions...

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

June 27, 2003 08:29AM
Jobe,

However we want to play the words, Gary is correct the USFS will issue citations if you are caught on PCT with a bicycle. I actually rode in once myself years back just after a snow storm down to 3,000 feet and it was great. But those were the days before the Willow fire, the land slides on the trail and when you could still park at the spillway and it was relatively safe. I don't really agree with the ban on mountain bikes on PCT but it does exist. I heard of a recent case where two bikers were caught at the springs after they had been seen coming in on PCT. I don't think they were cited but the Rangers forced them to push their bikes out on the Bowen Ranch trail and ride all the way round. Now that is a workout for you Swimbikerun!

By the way it is legal to ride your bike in on the Bowen Ranch trail. I did so last year from the Bowen Ranch. It is one hell of a work out and not too much fun. On the way down my forearms and fingers were cramping up from using the breaks so much. You have to break alot so you don't ride off the side of the trail and slide all the way down to the bottom of the canyon. On the way up I was only able to bike about 50% of the way and had to push or carry the bike the rest. But it is a workout!

If you are set on not paying to access public land you can use your mountain bike on the BLM and fire roads around Bowen Ranch. You ask why would someone pay to access public land, I assure you I was so exhausted that day that I would have paid alot more not to have to ride any further. For some of us it is easier. The Springs are free and you can access them free from many different directions, which include the spillway and Bradford Ridge. It is also legal to hike anywhere within Forest Lands, so there are plenty of ways to get there. You can also come downsteam on PCT form lake arrowhead that I believe is around 10 miles.

Anyway, hope you can make it to our meeting tomorow! Did you get a brochure form Paul P.?

Ron (#2) Hey Jobe, why am I #2, I was here first!
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Access to the Hot Springs plus questions...

swimbikerun 1128June 23, 2003 10:29PM

sycamorelaughing 731June 24, 2003 06:37AM

Wizard 686June 24, 2003 09:44AM

Paul P. 719June 24, 2003 12:45PM

jobe 809June 24, 2003 08:44PM

swimbikerun 806June 25, 2003 03:34PM

Gary 741June 26, 2003 10:14AM

jobe 828June 26, 2003 02:43PM

jobe 898June 24, 2003 07:56PM

jobe 1006June 26, 2003 02:52PM

LaughingBear 737June 26, 2003 06:50AM

Ron 673June 27, 2003 08:29AM

Re: Access to the Hot Springs & MORE!

Gary 742June 27, 2003 09:14AM

jobe 1290June 27, 2003 09:20AM

Wizard 757June 27, 2003 08:37AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login