Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Full

Advanced

Re: Offroad vehicle issues

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

June 04, 2003 01:22PM
And I can't help but comment on the horse theme. There's always going to be a battle between classes of users of wilderness trails. Mtn. Bikers hate horses, horse riders hate the bikers... speeding and spooking their animals. Hikers probably hate them all.

Here in Northern Utah I do a lot of Mtn. Biking. I don't think I "buy" the arguement about thin troughs left by bike tires causing more damage than hoof prints. If you have responsible riders... staying on the trails, there is virtually no damage done to well established trails. You can't even see tire tracks most of the time. If one goes off the trail, that's another story. Bike tires, hoof prints, foot prints... they all can easily mess things up.

I've been on a couple of trails lately that have been literally thrashed by irresponsible horse use. These knuckleheads get on the trail as soon as the snow melts, and just hammer the still wet trails. It's virtually imposible to ride a bike on a soaked trail; I wouldn't even try. But those horse riders sure do!

We tried to ride a couple of different places a week or so ago. Not only do you have to dodge the "guacamole" waste cranked out by the hay burners, but they left 6 to 8 inch deep hoof prints in the soft trail. The mud hardens and you're left with a moonscape trail that is dangerous to everyone who wants to use it. It beats the h*ll out of you if you're trying to ride a bike, you risk breaking an ankle if you're hiking. And forget trying to take young kids for an afternoon on the trail. The dang monsterous hoof prints would swallow them whole!

I don't know what the answer is, but multi-use trails can really present a problem. I try to be a responsible rider and hiker on all trails. If I encounter horses, I dismount and wait until we're all a safe distance from one another. Just like drivers on the freeway, I guess it's all in the mentality of the user. The careful, cautious and respectful people end up being affected by the inconsiderate, self centered boneheads who think the trail belongs to them, and those who are going to behave however they want to without regard to the rights of others.

And as long as I'm rambling... I rode to some nice Hot Springs in the Wasatch Mountains (above Provo, UT) during the Memorial Day weekend. The stream leading down the canyon was nice and clear, with pristene waterfalls on the way in. On the ride out, I got near the trail head and noticed the waterfalls were murkey and the stream was muddy now...

Of course, what did I find? Coming out of the Canyon, near the trailhead, upstream where a bunch of testosterone infested idiots riding their ATVs through the upper creek drainage... in and out of the stream, up the steap banks, tearing up the meadows and grass in the area. Usually two kids on the machine to boot... no one wearing helmets.

Perhaps they should do a background check, similar to buying a firearm, before they let anyone enter a wilderness area. Kind of an "Idiot Check". Take a psyc-test. If it is determined that you have no sense at all, no respect for property or others' rights, and if you're a fierce, trash-producing loudmouth looking for trouble... well I have some suggestions for punishement and turning such away... but perhaps your ideas are better than mine ;o)

Now what was the purpose of this post?!?!????

Oh yeah... soap box and venting.

-Gary

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Offroad vehicle issues

katrina island 1215June 02, 2003 12:22PM

LaughingBear 715June 02, 2003 04:39PM

Wizard 653June 02, 2003 09:30PM

jobe 804June 03, 2003 02:23PM

Rick 682June 03, 2003 03:38PM

Gary 927June 04, 2003 07:44AM

Ron 658June 05, 2003 07:20AM

Rick 1341June 02, 2003 10:20PM

Wizard 1332June 04, 2003 08:58AM

Rick 664June 04, 2003 10:54AM

Paul P. 665June 04, 2003 12:24PM

Gary 731June 04, 2003 01:22PM

Rick 631June 04, 2003 02:33PM

Gary 1224June 05, 2003 12:33PM

DCR 703June 04, 2003 07:40PM

Wizard 718June 04, 2003 08:10PM

Free our Forests 660June 05, 2003 10:35AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login