Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (98% of Full)

Advanced

Re: questions about deep creek

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

April 22, 2003 02:47PM
It's been several years since I've taken an alternate route to the springs, but a great all-day hike, soak and hike is to come from the West directly up Deep Creek Canyon. Depending on where you are driving from, take 138 East from Cajon Pass (Interstate 15) then turn on 173 just below Silverwood Lake. Take 173 to the Majove River Forks flood control dam. (it is on 173 about 3 miles south of Hisperia Lakes and Campground.

You can park below the earthen dam (South side) and hike up to the spillway then take the hiking trail which leads you up the canyon. You can also park on 173 and walk across the dam and pick up the trail again at the spillway. No parking fee... but you're at the mercy of leaving you're car in the middle of next-to-no-where and there's plenty of "off road" users in the area. I've heard of cars getting vandalized in the area, but I've never had a problem.

I have taken a Mtn. Bike up the trail to the springs until the Forrest Service folks caught me and beat me with a few stripes. ;o) You're not supposed to have any type of vehicle... morotorized or not on this trail.

The hike is about 6 miles one way up the canyon to the Springs. Most of the time you are well above Deep Creek. but the views of the stream below are pretty nice. There are several trail spurs that can take you down to the stream to enjoy many unique areas amid the granite rocks and boulders. There's a few small waterfalls and cool pools to dip in, but I'm not sure if any are the specific places you are referring to. It's a pretty flat hike for the first half, but you're in the sun on the North side of the canyon. Then you cross a bridge which arches over the creek and you will be on the South side of the canyon the rest of the way to the springs. That puts you on the same side of the stream as the springs, so you won't have to wade through Deep Creek. I've never quite understood what the big deal is with wading across the stream at the springs. It's only 20 or 30 seconds to wade across in knee or waist high cool water. But I digress...

Anyway, once you're on the South side of the canyon, the trail winds in and out of a couple of side canyons that have some nice shade and small streams. It's a long hike, and can sap you of your strength in the heat of a summer day. Take lots of water. If I've got all day to kill, I prefer this longer hike. It makes the springs that much more rewarding when you get there. The pools and waterfalls are especially nice during the high water of a spring runoff.

I'm told that you can also get to the springs from the East by hiking down Deep Creek Canyon to the the hot pools, but I don't know where you start from. I've hiked a mile or so up above the springs a couple of times... but have never come down the canyon from above. I think some of the neatest rock formations and pools are within the mile or so just above the hot springs. There's supposed to be some other pools up above, but I've never sought them out. Seems like I enjoy the main pools too much to waste time trying to find something less appealing.

So... that's my take on the area. Did I get it fairly factual, y'all? I'm sure the Wizard, Mr. & Mrs. Laughing Bear, or other regulars could give you their slant of things as well.

Enjoy your "hot pottin" and remember to leave the place cleaner than you found it!

Take Care,

Gary
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

questions about deep creek

dynamichrt 1802April 22, 2003 01:03PM

Gary 756April 22, 2003 02:47PM

Ron 730April 22, 2003 08:50PM

Wizard 762April 23, 2003 08:53AM

dynamichrt 723April 23, 2003 05:08PM

Wizard 1183April 23, 2003 05:21PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login