Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (90% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Katrina's Opinion: Wizard Objectively Developed an Opinion

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

April 27, 2003 11:50AM
As I have heard many stories and opinions about Mike Castro over the years, others have heard things too, and developed thier own opinions as seen by Celtfires post above. Celtfire has been a visitor to DCHS since the early 70's as I remember, and therefor, has been in a position to see the changes related to DCHS and the Bowen Ranch. He states in his post above " Mike told me 10 or so years ago that he had invested in the ranch and was not about to let others interfere with his income ". From meeting Celtfire, and in reading his post here at the DCHS forum, its my opinion that he is a solid, careful thinker who does not share his opinion often, but really says something when he does. Its always been my opinion that for Mike Castro, the Bowen Ranch is his investment, and he considers it his money machine. I spoke of this in my very first post here at the DCHS forum as Mojo. People and events that Mike Castro deems will negatively affect the flow of cash, he has moved against. He has used the easy ploy of saying that his activities are all about protecting DCHS but there are those of us who aren't buying the charade. Everything from the Moss Mill road, the easier access to the USFS parking lot when they graded and smoothed out the last steep hill on old Route 1 and 2, to open routes and other alternative ways to access the springs, Mike Castro has sought to, in what way he could, fill in the holes bleeding cash from his income source. There were countless confrontations on the Moss Mill road and other open route areas. Mike Castro would say he was protecting his property and the springs, I don't think so, his actions, by what I have learned, indicate much more than the concerns about property rights, of a simple landowner, or his vast caring for DCHS itself. Mike Castro has put alot of time and money into keeping up the Bowen Ranch and of course thats his right ( if he actually owns the building ) and his business, on his own property. I look at the orginal effort by some to form a group of caring people for the springs benifit, The Friends of Deep Creek. Mike Castro professed to be part of this effort. Then came the move by the Friends of Deep Creek group to obtain the Bowen Ranch, in essence, for the same kind of purposes that Katrina now seeks to use it for, a non profit entity, providing information and a meeting point for " all " hotspringers. In the end Mike Castro, based on what I have heard, undercut others in the group, Friends of Deep Creek, and made his own cash deal with Fred Moss for the lease on the Bowen Ranch. What happened to the Friends of Deep Creek then, it basically withered away, seeing no support from Mike Castro. I think once Mike Castro saw that thier was money to be made in occupying the Bowen Ranch, he made his move to get the " machine " for himself. Has he ever shown interest since that time in developing a group to help the springs. He has put alot of time and effort into Bowen Ranch improvements, the " machine " works better when it is appealing. Once, Mike Castro, who resided with the others at the Moss Mill, and spoke for free access and no fees, now, had a change of heart. He now, without skipping a beat, continued to charge the toll, just like his predeccesors at the Bowen Ranch. As he raised the rates, thru the years, did any of the money go in any " donations " toward specifically helping DCHS ? But I have heard from some, that Mike Castro doesn't care about the money, well folks, in reality, its always been about the money. Now I heard just yesterday, in another "conversation " that Mike Castro has expressed his disfavor with the DCV group effort. I have gathered from other conversations that Mike Castro has been projecting to most, this idea that he likes the DCV effort, but its my opinion that its all been a charade. Just like he never made any effort to see throught the initial mission of " The Friends of Deep Creek " because it would interfere with his control and cash flow from the Bowen Ranch, I believe he now does not " in reality " wish for the success of the DCV effort. Any group of concerned visitors working with the USFS begins to take control away from him, he wants to be in the driver seat. The information I heard yesterday only reinforces my belief that Mike Castro has no well wishes, in his heart, for a cohesive group working with the USFS toward helping the springs. In my opinion, Mike has always sought to be " King of the Hill " when it comes to DCHS, and controlling the flow of visitors. Now you have to ask yourself, why in the world, if he truly was all about helping the hotsprings, would Mike Castro have " any " reservations about a group which basically just does clean-up, shares information, and tries to, by example, help produce a stronger sense of caring in people for this bueatiful place, DCHS. The DCV group has made it its mission to work on helping DCHS specifically. This group, as an entity, does not involve itself with the other contentious issues occuring in the area, that is a very important aspect of this group. I abide by this feature of the groups expressed mission. As an individual however, outside the groups activities, I will continue to discuss my concerns for DCHS, and the general area around it, and show support for a peaceful and safe atmosphere, for all visitors, by whatever legal access route, to the special place of DCHS.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Katrina's Opinion: Wizard Objectively Developed an Opinion

katrina island 1771April 20, 2003 02:38PM

LaughingBear 706April 20, 2003 09:10PM

Wizard 651April 20, 2003 09:33PM

blue corn 748April 20, 2003 09:50PM

sycamorelaughing 735April 20, 2003 09:48PM

blue corn 693April 20, 2003 10:16PM

Wizard 726April 20, 2003 10:38PM

Observer 654April 24, 2003 06:48AM

celtfire 761April 26, 2003 05:25PM

Wizard 715April 24, 2003 10:19AM

Ron 723April 24, 2003 10:12PM

Wizard 728April 24, 2003 07:54PM

DCV independence

katrina island 1231April 27, 2003 11:53PM

Wizard 729April 25, 2003 08:24AM

Wizard 649April 27, 2003 11:50AM

sycamorelaughing 732April 27, 2003 09:39PM

Wizard 664April 27, 2003 10:35PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login