Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (83% of Full)

Advanced

Agencies making plans

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

June 12, 2001 03:21AM
There are two management plans being developed by the BLM which will affect the Deep Creek Area. They are called the WEMO (West East Mojave) and the NECO (North East Colorado) Plans. The BLM are having meetings at the Green Tree Inn, so far they have been on access and conservation. I have been at two of these public meetings, one in Ridgecrest, nice but far away.

The BLM are working on mapping the entire desert's dirt road system and decide which roads, horse trails, to keep open and which ones to close. They are under a time limit for all this to be completed by Dec 2002. Juniper Flats area is one of the last areas to be mapped. I will look to see when, I think it is August.

Upon reviewing the proposed Forest Service Map of the area, our trailhead is missing, at least it appears that way. I will see if I can save it and make the boundaries more clear.

The Sierra Club would love to make Deep Creek a Wilderness Area and it has been declared as a roadless area. Roadless areas are to be considered for Wilderness Areas. Wilderness areas are off limits to vehicles, man-made buildings, any machinery. This means hiking from the boundary of the wilderness. Sometimes these areas require permits.

There was a meeting in Lucerne concerning the BLM's settlement of the lawsuit with Southwest Center for Biodiversity and its affect on cattlemen, 4-wheel drivers, equestrians, hikers, rock hounds, mining, permits for home improvements, access to roads, the tortoise, etc. The community leaders that attended were Bill Postmus (1st District County Supervisor), a representative from Phil Wyman's office (State Assembly), Gary Penrod (San Bernardino top Sheriff), David Fisher (cattle rancher). There were about 100 people there.

These people are concerned about accessing recreation areas and the settlement of the lawsuit. The County and the Cattlement are appealing the decision. The BLM are being ordered to have the cattle removed by September 2001, tortoise mating season. According to the Southwest Center for Biodiversity, the cattle step on their burrows.

The Sheriff said he was concerned about "range wars" and took BLM law enforcement of state laws on Federal land away. The BLM and the sheriff had a "memorandum of understanding" that the BLM could do law enforcement.

There are new materials to review from the Forest Service. I have a list, however, it is late and I can not stay up any longer. I will find it, anyone who is interested should request these materials from the Forest Service and the BLM. There is a lot to read and understand.

I really could use some more brains. Thanks.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Agencies making plans

katrina 1260June 12, 2001 03:21AM

Re: Agencies making plans

Paul P. 626June 12, 2001 12:02PM

katrina 642June 12, 2001 01:45PM

Rick 996June 12, 2001 04:20PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login