Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Full

Advanced

Purpose of group

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

August 11, 2002 08:20PM
A few comments and questions on other threads have led me to ask something about our purpose...maybe just something to keep in mind and discuss in group meetings. In the Mission Statement, as it now stands, we say first that we want to preserve DCHS as it now exists, and then that we believe in open public access. Yet, sometimes the wording gets a little twisted, and I am hearing that our function is to preserve public access. I think we need to be clear on this.
I know that there are some people who have been denied access through the Bowen ranch for good reasons, such as a high number of complaints about them from other users. Well, I do believe in public access, but would not want to be an "activist" for the cause of making sure that predators, for example, have every right to access the springs. So, just what are we preserving, here?
According to Katrina Island, whoever that really is, we should be angry that our government wants to protect an endangered toad. Well, if we are about preserving the springs and its environment, then the right of the species of toad to exist in its environment is a part of that, and should not lead to us jumping up and down and screaming about our "rights" to the springs. Sorry, but in that case the toad has first rights, and a group that wants to preserve the springs needs to recognize that.
Another topic that the group needs to consider is, of course, membership. How is it defined? Does anyone who says "I'm a part of this group" get to be a part? I've heard that Mike Castro and Katrina Island have been excluded at this time. Does that mean Gail Fry or Wm. or both, since Katrina is a fictitious character?

I sometimes find that I ask questions that get completely ignored. Maybe that is because I'm asking things that others have already discussed at some point, or because my questions are sometimes uncomfortable. That's o.k., I'm not trying to win a popularity contest, and if I ask things that have actually been answered (as opposed to avoided) I hope that someone will tell me so, so that I will not take silence as avoidance.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Purpose of group

Sycamore Laughing 1040August 11, 2002 08:20PM

Re: Purpose of group

Wizard 604August 11, 2002 09:23PM

Az. Mike 515August 12, 2002 01:01AM

Wizard 598August 12, 2002 09:50AM

Sycamore Laughing 566August 12, 2002 10:53AM

Wizard 584August 12, 2002 07:45PM

Arizona Mike 563August 13, 2002 01:07PM

Sycamore Laughing 997August 14, 2002 07:14AM

Sycamore Laughing 554August 13, 2002 07:48PM

Don 565August 13, 2002 02:14PM

Wizard 537August 13, 2002 07:15PM

Wizard 564August 13, 2002 08:13PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login