All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

July 25, 2002 01:55PM
I asked the man at the sheriffs dept if it was ok for me to hike to, and spend time with, my children at Deep Creek or DCHS specifically as long as my children and I were clothed and he said they have no problem with this and that I would not be violating any laws for doing that. I asked him about whether it was a problem that I was at DCHS with my children even though there were nude adults around. He indicated that I would not be in violation of anything and that the adults that were nude were in violation being in front of my minor children. Now I have absolutely no intention of complaining about the nude people in my presence when I'm at DCHS and the surrounding area. I have many friends down there and I completely except the clothing optional situation. He said that I was not obligated by any laws to turn in or report the nude people around me. He did say though that a person who sees a nude adult in front of me and my minor children could be turned in by anyone that was so inclined to do so. So that is something for everyone to just consider when going nude around minors at DCHS. I then called the CPS to explain the situation and to inquire about thier take on this. Basically they said that if the sheriffs dept said I was not breaking any laws by spending time at DCHS as a clothed adult with my clothed children that there would be nothing to come after me for. The woman I talked to said they respond to prosecutable offenses that occur regarding people and children. Of course I have heard stories and I'm I have no doubt that it would be said by some people that have been affected by thier interaction with the CPS that they can respond to things that are less clear than stated and specific laws. She did say that its advisable to keep my children supervised at all times and not to let them become exposed to other negative situations that might be seen as presenting a danger to the children. I explained that what we are doing down there is recreational, swimming, sitting around, having conversations with friends, having a meal and that if someone conducts themselves in an improper manner like overt sexual activity or acts aggressive or some other behaviour that would be seen as improper that in my case, I would always speak up to the individual about thier behaviour or remove my children from the situation, just like I would in any place I visit. The woman indicated that based on what I told her that she didn't think I would have any problems that would cause the CPS to become involved. I also called the Fish and Game dept. and inquired about thier take on the clothing optional status at DCHS. The woman I talked to said they don't have any fish and game laws the pertain to nudity but she said thier officers can site also for state laws like the sheriffs can. Since it has been my experience that the Fish and Game people are spread so thin and based on what the woman said the likely hood of coming across a Fish and Game officer while spending time in the DCHS area is quite remote, I would say there is very little threat of being arrested by one of thier officers. I am searching out all of this information so that I hopefully will never have something like what happpened to me this weekend, happen again. Also I think it is very important that the visitors to the DCHS area be aware of the true situation regarding nudity in general and specifically as it relates to adults and minors. Since DCHS by what the sheriffs dept said, is not " designated " officially as clothing optional then I think it would be highly advisable that there are signs that explain what exactly visitors can expect regarding thier rights about nudity on thier visits to DCHS. Perhaps also we can find some way with Brads help to have some specific area at and around DCHS designated officially so that the visitors, be they single adults or family members can feel protected from arrest or agency involvement as long as they are conducting themselves responsibly. I think signs should be at the Bowen Ranch trail , Bradford Ridge trail and coming from both directions to DCHS along the PCT. which can inform the visitors of the nature of the policies and how they could be affected by going nude in the area. Of course the Forest Service may very well not be interested in putting up signs providing information about this subject. They may feel that it is ultimatly the responsibility for the visitors to explore the laws pertaining to thier actions while visiting the area. Its understandable that you can't have signs up that explain every aspect of laws pertaining to everything you might encouter while going differant place or we would obviously have a wilderness of signs. I think at the very least this is something that should be discussed in the handout we are working on. I think it is a very important issue to make people at least aware of thier rights regarding nudity in the DCHS area. It is my feeling though that the actual clothing optional situation at DCHS has no shown itself to me to not be the complete safe haven for naturist that I used to think it was. Possiblities for visitors encountering problems due exist. So with what I've found out so far I feel that I should not take a chance in being nude with my children in any setting. There is simply way to much at stake. Based on what the officer said I will feel safe visiting with my children while we are clothed and they are under my supervision. It appears also that I shouldn't really have anything to worry about in visiting the area without clothes while with other adults. The real problem area is spending time as a nude adult in the DCHS area while minors are present whether they are mine or someone elses. I will have get Brads take on all of this. I'll let you know what I find out.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

More information on the clothing optionl status at DCHS

Wizard 1287July 25, 2002 01:06PM

Re: More information on the clothing optionl status at DCHS

Wizard 743July 25, 2002 01:55PM

Wizard 724July 25, 2002 01:59PM

Katrina 775July 25, 2002 02:56PM

Blusky 645July 25, 2002 03:02PM

Wizard 728July 25, 2002 07:27PM

sycamore laughing 740July 25, 2002 08:56PM

Paul P. 673July 26, 2002 12:09AM

Wizard 684July 26, 2002 12:10PM

Mary 783July 27, 2002 01:11AM

Paul P. 620July 28, 2002 03:42PM

katrina island 661July 28, 2002 05:41PM

paul 585July 31, 2002 04:43PM

Wizard 724July 28, 2002 06:30PM

Wizard 1189August 01, 2002 08:35AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login