Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (98% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Calif. Wildfire Forces Evacuations

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

July 23, 2002 09:35PM
I too agree with EastBay and Wizard. Good points, both of you. I reprint here a previous post of mine at the time of the Arrowhead fire.

Re: More on the Arrowhead Fire
Author: mp (---.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net)
Date: 06-13-02 01:51

Of course a careless "man-made" fire is never good. But bear in mind that fire is also a natural part of the ecology. The cones of some pine trees, those known as the "closed cone pines" will not open to release their seeds unless subjected to the heat of a fire. Examples are the Bishop, Monterey, Knobcone and Santa Cruz Island pines. Also, the seeds of some of the native chaperral plants will not germinate unless subjected to the heat of a fire. This is a process known as "heat scarification". This is why areas which have not burned in many years have few young plants in them. Instead the existing plants continue to mature and build up the oily resins which are what causes the fire to burn so intensely when it does happen. So periodic fire, under the right circumstances, can be a good thing for the ecology. Sometimes that is hard for us to see.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Calif. Wildfire Forces Evacuations

DCR 1188July 23, 2002 09:22AM

EastBay 577July 23, 2002 12:53PM

Wizard 598July 23, 2002 08:41PM

mp 661July 23, 2002 09:35PM

DCR 656July 23, 2002 09:38PM

Wizard 624July 23, 2002 10:14PM

EastBay 1093July 24, 2002 09:47AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login