Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (97% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Lightning, Thunder and Fire!

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

July 15, 2002 08:39AM
Wizard,

I was up there Friday also. Got there about 8:00 and was really enjoying myself floating around in the creek. Noticed about 10:00 clouds were starting to roll in but didn't think anything of it. 10:30 getting darker and can hear rumbling and see lighting strikes in the distance. 10:45 rumbling getting louder and strikes getting closer. 11:00 getting real close now and starting to sprinkle. Call me a coward if you will, but I didn't want to get caught down at the springs in a storm so I packed up my gear and headed up the hill hoping to get back to the car before it really hit - I didn't make it. About the time I hit the top of Mo Fo it let loose and starting raining. Have to say though that it was fun hiking in the rain.

Slightly off topic... Really disappointed in a few folks the other day. There were two couples there Friday morning on their first visit and they left about 1/2 hour before I did to head back up to Bowen Ranch (guess they were afraid of the rain to?). Anyway, I was amazed when I came across the 2 guys on the hike out moving really slow. One of them was having a REAL tough go of it. Asked them were their wives/girlfriends/friends were but they had gone on ahead. So I slowed down and walked with these 2 guys for a bit. When the one who wasn't having any problems just took off. Now I don't now this guy from Adam and all his friends have left him and I am having some serious concerns about his well being cause he is not looking good and breathing like a steam engine. He doesn't have a drop of water and is looking pretty pale so I give him a bottle of water that I have in my pack. So there I am walking with this guy and coaching him on. Won't get into all the long drawn-out details but suffice it to say he wasn't all that pleased with his friends when we finally did get back to the ranch as they're sitting there kicking back, drinking water and relaxing like they don't have a care in the world. Would've thought they would be a little bit more concerned with their friend. I had some real doubts that he was actually going to be able to make it. Luckily it was overcast and sprinkling so it was pretty cool and he didn't overheat near as much as he could have. I don't think he'll be coming back anytime in the near future...

Anyway, to end on a positive note. It was a great day soaking in the creek.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Lightning, Thunder and Fire!

Wizard 1100July 12, 2002 09:17PM

Rick 613July 12, 2002 09:19PM

Ron 565July 13, 2002 08:27AM

katrina island 678July 13, 2002 12:46PM

Laughing Bear 610July 13, 2002 04:58PM

Rick 634July 14, 2002 01:16AM

Wizard 560July 14, 2002 01:33PM

Wizard 555July 14, 2002 02:29PM

Ken 761July 15, 2002 08:39AM

Wizard 664July 15, 2002 09:29AM

Arizona Mike 999July 27, 2002 11:03AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login