Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (99% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Trip Report 2/12/019

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

February 12, 2019 08:58PM
That cement and rock wall you found Paulespo going upstream is part of an old aqueduct system that supplied eastern Hesperia with water from Deep Creek. You can follow the remnants of it around a quarter mile or less upstream to the point where water was directed into from the stream. Right by the end the aqueduct it goes through a little tunnel to get through/under a cliff area, then it comes out the other side and goes a slight distance where you will find square cement structures with groves in both side. It looks to me like it was a slide gate of some sort to stop or control the water flow, maybe for when they were doing repairs on the aqueduct. From there crossing the creek at about a 45 degree angle you can find more remnants of old low wall sections in the stream bed, and that is how they directed water over to the start of the aqueduct.

Going west from the Rainbow bridge you will notice how level the trail is going down the canyon all the way to the dam, and that is because you are walking along the route, and at times even in the aquaduct. You will see walls along the way, and even spots where they built covered sections that have holes in them in spots, tube like structure since down closer to the dam the aqueduct runs across steep hillsides with cliffs. From above the spillway at the Mohave Forks dam where the PCT switchbacks down the hill and then into the canyon heading south, that aqueduct up on the hill actually continues on west and northwest around the corner to its western most end where you will see a very big rusty pipe heading steeply down the hill and at the bottom of the hill you can see signs of where it used to be heading off towards Hesperia. There is another long section of rusty pipe exposed a little ways from where the other goes up the steep hill.

I'm sure it was a major problem trying to keep the system intact, especially when there were big rainstorms with lots of debris and rocks cascading down the hills. As time went by other types of ways to access water came along like wells to get ground water. I do not know when the aqueduct was built, if there was a name for it, or how long it was in operation. I have looked online before to try and find some historical information about it but can not find any yet. I had thought before of calling the Victor Valley Museum to see if they might know about it or could tell me where to find info on this old aqueduct.

Thanks for the trip report Paulespo and also for the big photos you took. These moderate type floods tend to usually strip sand away from areas around the Phoenix Pool where back in 2010/2011 the two very high water flooding events deposited a huge amount of new sand. That big heavy iron no camping sign actually fell over in those floods and disappeared under the sand. I tried to compare older pictures to try and locate where it was but could not find it. Then one day our DCV Group was down for the day and we were having lunch on the sand and one of my daughters noticed something poking her under the sand and it was an edge of the sign. Then a group of us dug and dug and finally with much help from Jobes strong back we tipped it up straight. To give you an idea of how much sand at that sign has since been eroded away, that big blob of cement at the bottom of the sign has a wide flat section at the top, and the beach level was even with that flat area. Now look at it! That little Woodsey Owl sign was set in some boulders and further up the beach so it never fell over. Many years ago that little sign was made of some type of plastic, and it was cracked, fading and falling apart so I removed it and took it to a friend who had a sign company, and he copied the sign, making it out of much stronger material. That Woodsey Owl is a USFS symbol from long ago which I don't think is even any longer used by the USFS. Its held up very well except for what looks like someone had thrown a rock at it, and some other scratch on it. Woodsey Owl lives on at DCHS smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2019 09:05PM by Wizard.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Trip Report 2/12/019

paulespo1543February 12, 2019 12:35PM

Wizard723February 12, 2019 08:58PM

Paul P.680February 14, 2019 08:40AM

Wizard615February 14, 2019 09:08PM

neogeo889February 15, 2019 09:57AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login