All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

July 15, 2018 08:03PM
The Bull Frogs have proliferated from downstream. I had seen a lot of bull frogs many years ago down in the forest of Cottonwoods in the Mohave Narrows area by Spring Valley Lake. I think they came from that area when the Mohave River was running giving them a route to go upstream, through the Mohave Forks Dam then up Deep Creek, or perhaps they came from the West Fork of the Mohave, Rancho Las Flores area where there are marshes and waterways which would be great habitat for them if introduced. I had never seen one in the Deep Creek before, but then one afternoon I heard the deep croak of one down stream from DCHS near the Rainbow bridge area about 7 years ago. Since that time they have been steadily moving upstream and last year I found the big full frog tadpoles as far upstream as Coxey Creek where it meets Deep Creek, and I would guess they are even further upstream than that. They eat anything they can fit down their mouths and are superbly designed for survival. Nothing will get them out Deep Creek now that they are in there. I have seen pools with literally hundreds of bull frog poliwogs in them. I have also noticed in the same time frame a disappearance of the once abundant grey tree frogs that use to be all along the creek. Easy prey for the bigger and more aggressive bull frogs.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Trip Report: 7/11/2018

paulespo1712July 13, 2018 12:18PM

Re: Trip Report: 7/11/2018

neogeo893July 13, 2018 03:47PM

Antranik749July 13, 2018 05:23PM

Wizard735July 15, 2018 08:03PM

jobe1119July 16, 2018 11:28AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login