All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

November 10, 2017 12:14PM
Neogeo, if you have ever seen the movie Apocalypto, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngWBddVNVZs , " Apocalypto depicts the journey of Jaguar Paw, a Mesoamerican tribesman who must escape human sacrifice and rescue his family " , I thought I would think of myself as Raven Paw during my hikes in Granite and Fair View Mountains. There are lots of Ravens that I always see and they fly over to check me out. One thing they do at times is while they are flying they will flip upside down briefly. They clearly do it for fun smiling smiley So the other day I was telling my wife about me being Raven Paw, and then she pointed out that Raven's don't have paws. She is super smart and that is why she makes the big bucks winking smiley So Raven Claw it must be smiling smiley

I have been hiking lately since the weather has cooled down enough in those desert mountains. I have hiked all over and know them well. I saw three foxes one day. At other times I have found Desert Tortoises and even little three inch baby ones. One day I came across some roundish droppings and later found out that they were from Big Horn Sheep. I have found old Burro droppings but I have never seen one. There are various bird, quail, Chukar, and an occasional Golden Eagle and Great Horned Owls who reside in crevices.

The rock formation are amazing in their colors and forms. Late in the day when the sun is at a low angle I love seeing the landscape with the contrast of the rocks and shadows. The colors are most vivid in the fall when the sun's late day light is more golden. I am thankful to have these pristine desert places to visit so close by smiling smiley In late summer I did hike to DCHS by way of the Bradford Ridge Trail. I really like that drive in the forest to get there, but it is about 30 extra miles of driving compared to my normal drive to parking places on the north side of Deep Creek, and it takes about an extra hour winding through the mountains.

My truck currently has a mechanical problem so I can't use the dirt roads. In the summer and early fall I did quite a few hikes in lower Deep Creek down by the dam since I could use our mini van parking just off the paved road down there. There is a lot more graffiti and trash in lower Deep Creek, the easier access from the city being the problem. I did find a nice spot, out of the way which was clean with no graffiti in view. Nice to have that as an option when my truck is broken.

If the Bowen Ranch does close for DCHS access, people will be left with the longer rougher rd around to the Freedom Trail parking area or getting to the same area using the power line rd from Deep Creek rd. They also can with four wheel drive get to the USFS parking lot, but that is long and has some steep spots. I doubt those other two routes I mentioned would ever be opened up again. And as we have seen the springs has been getting in recent years really too much visitation, which comes along with it by certain people the degrading things people do to tarnish the environment down there.

Its too bad that bicyles are not allowed on the PCT so I could ride my mountain bike up the canyon from the Mohave Forks Dam. The thing is they allow horses out there on all the trails and they with their weight and hooves do a whole lot more trail damage than bikes to the trails. Maybe before too long I will make it over to the BRT trail head and hike in from there to the springs from there, or, finally get my truck fixed smiling smiley

Here is a link to one of my photos at my Flickr site. I took this pic years ago while hiking in Granite Mountains. As Raven Claw I am also a card carrying member of the Circle Clan who reside in that area winking smiley The circles ( there are lots more ) I do because its required for membership, as always 11 stones, with a center one pointing to something special winking smiley Lots of my little clay head sculptures are also out there watching over things when I am not there, gotta have sentries to guard the magic realm smiling smiley https://www.flickr.com/photos/hotspringswizard/12429053813/in/photostream/lightbox/
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Very Hairy Experiences Reported with Bowen Ranch Last Week thumbs down

Antranik2628October 16, 2017 10:36AM

Re: Very Hairy Experiences Reported with Bowen Ranch Last Week thumbs down

MINERALKING1159October 16, 2017 02:23PM

Antranik1236October 16, 2017 03:44PM

juliankaye1067October 21, 2017 06:59AM

Rick1021October 21, 2017 01:42PM

Katrinaisland1457October 21, 2017 04:05PM

jobe1046October 21, 2017 10:38PM

neogeo1034November 06, 2017 01:56PM

Paul P.910November 06, 2017 05:53PM

Wizard966November 06, 2017 08:10PM

neogeo894November 09, 2017 12:09AM

Rick801November 09, 2017 01:01PM

Katrinaisland819November 09, 2017 05:29PM

Wizard784November 09, 2017 09:30PM

neogeo808November 09, 2017 11:54PM

Wizard892November 10, 2017 12:14PM

Wizard814November 09, 2017 10:33PM

Paul P.941November 10, 2017 08:28AM

Wizard1239November 11, 2017 12:25PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login