All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

October 07, 2016 10:37AM
I was at DCHS yesterday, great weather! The creek level is at normal summer time lows. The crossing from the beach to the main hot pools is very shallow, only a foot and a half at the lower end of the big stream pond. The rope people set up is done sometimes in the winter when the creek is running high. For walking across then it does help some people to stay balanced and not fall. When the flow is higher I use a large inner tube shaped raft I bought from Walmart ( called the River Rat ), and you can set back into the doughnut hole then easily paddle with your hands. If the stream flow is strong its best to launch upstream on the shore as far as you can get then as the water flow pushes you downstream you will end up over near the Crab Cooker area. If its higher and dangerous the Bradford Ridge Trail will get you to DCHS with no stream crossing since you are on the south side of the creek, the hot pool side smiling smiley Unfortunately that option is not available to me anymore ( I live in Apple Valley ) since they closed the 5 mile dirt section of HWY 173 and it would be a 40 mile drive for me to get to that trail head. I did not measure the creek temp but at the crossing spot to the hot pools, but I would guess it was around 75. I vacuumed out the Serenity Pool with my hose and it was crystal clear. Another guy also vacuumed out the Anniversary Pool. The shower hose was broken so it was not working. On Tuesday I vacuumed out the Phoenix Pool and cleaned around it too. The scenery was magnificent and some of the leaves on plants and trees are starting to show fall colors. There is a long time hot source that flows into the south side of the Womb that in the past was quite small and not that hot but now it has increased over time and is quite large. I measured it last week at 110 so it is helping to keep the Womb Pool warmer than it used to be. I noticed recently that there is a warmish flow coming out of the granite at the south end of the Crab Cooker. I don't remember seeing that one before. Another guy and I were wondering if it is new, maybe coming from the recently built Contemplation Pool backed up water. Fun crowd and enjoyable as usual visiting the regulars and other visitors. I hope there is some big flooding this winter to scour out the creek bed and renew the beaches smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2016 10:54AM by Wizard.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Rope crossing or pond crossing

Christine1549October 06, 2016 11:30AM

Re: Rope crossing or pond crossing

Wizard858October 07, 2016 10:37AM

Paul P.717October 07, 2016 08:25PM

Wizard869October 07, 2016 10:17PM

neogeo732October 07, 2016 11:38PM

Wizard735October 08, 2016 11:25AM

Rick675October 09, 2016 05:40PM

Wizard1137October 09, 2016 06:08PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login