Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (88% of Full)

Advanced

Re: FAQ's

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

May 16, 2001 01:59PM
<i>"When is the best time of year to enjoy the springs?"</i>

Spring and fall are best but anytime is good. Summer can
be very hot though.

<i>"When during the week can I find the least amount of people there?"</i>

Monday's are probably the least crowded but any weekday is usually good. But you never can be sure until you get there.

<i>"I assume there's no reservations to camp at Bowen Ranch--if I take a group on Sunday, before Memorial Day will we even find a spot?"</i>

There are no reservations nor are there formal camp sites. You can always find something.

<i>"Is nudity tolerated/common at the camp sites?"</i>

Nudity is ok.

<i>"Is nudity at the springs always O.K. regardless of who's already there?"</i>

Nudity is always OK at the springs. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

<i>"Is there any sexual activity or lewd conduct that goes on there, either out in the open or hidden in the bushes?"</i>

Shit happens.

<i>"Is it OK to hike in and out nude along the trail from Bowden Ranch?"</i>

It is quite common to do so.

<i>"What are camping accomodations like at the ranch?"</i>

A place to park.

<i>"I've read that nudity is OK at the ranch, is that true?"</i>

Ask Mike.

<i>"Does it just apply to a camping area, or can I get out of my car and get naked?"</i>

There is no official camping area.

<i>"When do the wildflowers peak?"</i>

The wildflowers usually peak in May. But it depends on how much late season rain we get and what the temperatures are.

<i>"I understand there is another way into Deep Creek? Up from a dam or something? How is parking there? Is the hike more difficult from that direction? Do we have to cross the creek from that way?"</i>

Take Deep Creek Rd. to its end and walk up the spillway at the dam.

Parking is dangerous there because the area is a hangout with a lot of rough play and drinking going on.

The hike is longer but not as uphill. It is a pleasent walk of about 4.5 miles from the spillway to the hotsprings. The creek is crossed via a bridge.

<i>"Does anybody know how the weather at the creek corresponds to what I get at weather.com when I put 92308. Is it hotter/colder in the creek than at the Apple Valley? If so, by how any degrees? Is there a reliable source other than weather.com or accuweather.com?"</i>

It is usually cooler than Apple Valley because the springs are at a higher altitude. Wind is also usually less at the springs because of the sheltering of the canyon.

<i>"Where is the best (free) place to park and access the springs?"</i>

That's a moving target these days.

<i>"Are there many weekend visitors this time of year?"</i>

Yes

<i>"What's the creek water level like?"</i>

It varies from rushing over the springs to almost nothing.

<i>"I was just wondering if it is unbearably cold in the area this time of year, I had wanted to spend a night at the ranch and hike down the next morning, but sources indicate it would be too cold to have a good time, anyone have any experience to share?"</i>

I've had my hair freeze (i.e ice from my sweat) while hiking out during the winter. Winter lows can easily be in the teens. During the summer it can stay <i>hot</i> all night.

<i>"Although I've been hiking in to Deep Creek Hot Springs for several decades I'm not familiar with the popular names of the individual spring pools. What are they named?"</i>

Depends on who you ask. Though the Crab Cooker tends to be called that by most people.

<i>"I've heard mention of Forest Service or BLM 4wheel drive roads around and near DC. Can anyone tell me the road numbers, or how to access them?"</i>

You should check with the agencies for the current routes. You can also check for information at <a href=http://www.deepcreekhotsprings.org>http://www.deepcreekhotsprings.org</a>;.

<i>"Does anyone know the creek temperature and how much it varies?"</i>

It varies from just about freezing with ice along the edges in the dead of winter to into the 80's during the summer.

<i>"I was wondering how many people were naked last weekend?"</i>

We'll never tell!
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

FAQ's

DCR 1815May 15, 2001 01:37PM

Rick 875May 15, 2001 03:59PM

Craig 791May 15, 2001 09:08PM

Wizard 881May 15, 2001 09:10PM

DCR 797May 16, 2001 07:00AM

DCR 831May 16, 2001 01:19PM

Rick 866May 16, 2001 01:59PM

DCR 886May 16, 2001 04:27PM

Rick 870May 16, 2001 05:23PM

Wizard 879May 16, 2001 08:37PM

Wizard 745May 16, 2001 08:46PM

Paul P. 841May 16, 2001 11:11PM

Dave's not here 760May 16, 2001 11:17PM

DCR 816May 17, 2001 08:14AM

katrina 939May 17, 2001 04:36PM

Wizard 1357May 17, 2001 09:36PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login