Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (86% of Full)

Advanced

First Trip 03-19-15

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

March 21, 2015 06:31PM
Hi fellow hot springers!

I was lucky enough to make my first trip to Deep Creek on Thursday, March 19, 2015.

We parked at the Bowen Ranch and met Mike, who was very informative about the hike and friendly towards us.

We started our journey around 1:30 in the afternoon. Shortly into the hike we did stumble upon a rattlesnake tucked under a bush, yes - he let us know he was there and gave his black rattle a nice shake. I swear we must have been a foot away from him if not closer! Other hikers were coming and going as we made our way down. The hike was intense at some points for me, steep climbs and a bit sedimentary terrain that I just slid right down. As we got closer, we could hear the stream of flowing water, blue skies above with a touch of clouds. Truly a beautiful sight and a rewarding feeling! We arrived at the creek around 2:15, making it roughly a 45 minute hike from Bowen Ranch. Hot springer's were scattered everywhere, some old, some young, all were quite friendly. We climbed on up to this big smooth rock and ate lunch while we viewed all around us, a pristine work of nature. After lunch we dipped into an empty hot spring, our first hot spring experience ever, oh my god! It was so amazing, I can't even describe how therapeutic it was for my aching calves. The water was crystal clear in the hot spring we were in. I cupped the water in my hands and my jaw dropped! How clear and beautiful this is! Shortly after we had a couple join us along with another man who seemed very knowledgeable of the area. I wish I got to ask this man some questions, but my minor soak in the hot spring exhausted me I think. I remember him taking the temperature of the spring, saying it was 108 degrees. He even had a pool hose to divert the hot water from the spring into the creek, which was very chilly! While falling in and out of dizzy spells, I remember a lot of information this man had said about Deep Creek. I think I remember hearing him say that the water has a certain bacteria that makes people sick? I'm not exactly sure as my head wasn't in the right place. I had finally been able to lift myself out of the spring and just take a breather before we decided to leave because I was exhausted from the heat. The hike back totally kicked my butt, drinking all the water I had left and taking many breaks, I'm so glad I made it!

Despite heat exhaustion, I had a wonderful day. I will be returning to this place as soon as I can. It's a magical place, it really is.. I've never seen anything like it.

A couple questions for any of the regulars:

1) Is the hot spring water that comes directly out of the source safe to drink?

2) I've read people talk about the springs by their names on here. I want to know which one I was in, it was the first spring in the creek, you could see the water flowing into the creek to your right. Can anyone decipher this one by my description?

Can't wait until my next visit : )
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

First Trip 03-19-15

sunshinegirl2010March 21, 2015 06:31PM

Re: First Trip 03-19-15

Wizard1563March 22, 2015 12:41AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login