Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (99% of Full)

Advanced

Trip Report 11-13

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

November 14, 2014 10:07AM
Trip report 11-13---------I would have to say that this was one of the best days I have had at the “springs” in a long time. Made my way down the Freedom trail to a relatively empty and serene hot springs. I haven’t been to the springs for a long time and my trip today reminded me of how much I miss this place. Jobe already gave you a detailed description of the water temps from yesterday. Today the sky was a little cloudy with sunlight making its way in and providing for excellent day temps. When I arrived there were three others at the spring and therefore the four of us were scattered among the several hot tubs – maybe 6 depending on who was in a tent set up above the nude beach. I soaked solo in the anniversary pool for about 20 minutes drifting in and out of slumber; after a sandwich and a beer I soaked another 10 minutes in the Arizona pool and then proceeded to my towel on the beach for a short rest and another beer before I made my way to the Anniversary pool for another soak; a couple showed up via the PCT/dam and joined me and a guy named Darwin. As we were soaking we noticed a very large contingent of people making their way down the Bowen trail. We noticed they were all wearing yellow shirts. Having worked for the Forest Service in the past I knew right away that this was a fire crew from the Forest Service. Later I came to find out that they were from 3 different stations in the SB National Forest –about 20+ guys total – a patrolman proceeded to the tent on the beach; woke the people up and happily gave them a ticket – the rest of the guys proceeded to clean up the trash and destroy the fire rings by tossing the charred rocks into the creek. Kudos to the Forest Service. Anybody going down to the springs this weekend will find a trash-free environment. Another couple show up, as well as four young people and a family of 3 for a total of about 17 at the springs. Most all were sans suit except the four “youngsters.” On my way out I met a Forest service employee, perhaps a captain from one of the stations, who was in the process of wiping out some of the graffiti from the rocks with some kind of special elixir. He said he preferred to do this rather than have to walk back up MOFO hill. We talked for a while on the topic of hot springs and Deep Creek HS in particular. I thanked him and the forest service for what they were doing today – ticketing people and cleaning up. He indicated that he loves the springs and everything the volunteers do to keep the place pristine. He also mentioned that there are those who would like to close the springs or at least have a permit system. He would rather work with the public and especially the volunteers to keep the springs as they are – free and pristine for everyone. I myself can’t stress enough how important it is for us regulars and volunteers to maintain a working relationship with the forest service and continue to maintain and police the springs. I always discourage people from camping and building campfires and to clean up after themselves – this may be the only way to keep DCHS free and accessible for all. For now my hats off to the Forest Service and all you guys who volunteer to make this place worthy of a clothes free retreat.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Trip Report 11-13

windsailor1876November 14, 2014 10:07AM

Re: Trip Report 11-13

neogeo1012November 14, 2014 10:55AM

Paul P.875November 14, 2014 06:16PM

windsailor1541November 14, 2014 07:48PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login