Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (90% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Satellite Communicator

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

March 12, 2014 07:42PM
True. Fortunately these were the exceptions. One thing I will admit though is that I actually didn't enjoy being a captain all the time. A lot of responsibility, especially with inexperienced crews in heavy winds. Light winds are a walk in the park. I manage so many things at work the last thing I want to do is manage more people during leisure. My ex-gf attended the same classes and we shared instructors so if she was available, that really helped with peace of mind. Now we only take a boat out on occasion and during special events, like during the air shows. Anchoring next to Alcatraz gives you a nice perspective on the planes. Of course the coast guard maintains a "safety line" by patrolling up and down with a gun boat, and the machine gun has the cover removed!

Sailing aside, I also have some flying stories after my ex-gf signed me up for flying lessons a decade ago. I still recall one incident where I petrified the instructor. Now I was used to a C-172 but one day it wasn't available so my instructor put us into an older aircraft to grade me. I remember sitting there looking at the cockpit instrument panel. I flipped one switch, then another, then another. Looked at him. He was silent. I ducked my head below the panel and felt with my hand. He put his pen into his mouth and we starred at each other without saying a word. I then asked him if he has the aircraft manual near his seat. No luck. I leaned back and looked at the higher switches and went sequentially down the cluster yet again, on position, off position. Then I spotted it, one of the few switches that I didn't try near the VHF unit. I flipped it up and the instrument panel lit up and aircraft started up. I looked at him and said "aha that's what I was looking for, main power switch". He just looked out his window as I was testing the hydraulics and yelled something along the lines of "I don't get paid enough for this job, lord help us both".

The most confusing part I found about flying by the way was not actually flying but the rules you had to follow with ATC. Interestingly the protocols they followed that I learned I ended up applying the exact same ones to increase patient safety in medicine, specifically when physicians issue verbal orders. However, even with predefined procedures things go wrong sometimes. This clip is very famous that illustrates how quickly a mess can occur. My favorite part is at 2:53.

If you fly a lot, United is the one airline that allows you to listen in. I always enjoyed flying into Boston. There is one guy who everyone nicknamed "Boston John" in the industry. He worked the tower. I still enjoy listening to him on liveatc.net. Looks like there are a few clips on YouTube as well. He also had a thing for lady pilots, as you can hear at 1:05 and 5:10. I guess I would too. Any woman that can handle a 900,000 lb machine that generates 66,000 lbs of thrust ... well never mind.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2014 08:09PM by mohave.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Satellite Communicator

mohave2464February 20, 2014 11:40PM

To Escape659February 28, 2014 01:03PM

mohave726February 28, 2014 08:27PM

mohave688February 28, 2014 08:40PM

mohave717March 01, 2014 12:41AM

To Escape686March 03, 2014 02:37AM

mohave857March 04, 2014 05:28PM

To Escape758March 12, 2014 02:30PM

mohave1020March 12, 2014 07:42PM

To Escape1315March 27, 2014 05:12PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login