Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Messages

Deep Creek Hot Springs

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Satellite Communicator

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

February 28, 2014 08:27PM
Personally I think it's a better solution than a sat phone and much cheaper in that it gives you everything a sat phone does less voice. And of course you get things you don't with a sat phone like bluetooth connectivity to your iPad, iPhone or other smart device which makes communication a breeze. Now, I actually do have a sat phone, the Extreme 9575, because as part of my work I need to be reachable via voice over some weekends if on call and there is no way in hell I'm limiting myself to populated areas only. I use a 300 min prepaid card and only take it with me if out of cell range and only use it to be contacted, and until now some texting which were charged at 1/3 the cost of a minute although inbound texts are free. I just tell folks to use 2 stage dialing if they need to reach me otherwise the cost to the caller (not me) is from $4-$15/minute! Also, although the phone does have tracking capabilities, because it's a commercial product, you have to sign up with a third-party company and pay them something like $35/month for a "short burst data" plan. No thanks. It's still a great device just very expensive. I'm ASA certified by the way and sail as well although much less frequently now, maybe two or three times during the warmer months at most. The winds around San Diego and LA are too light between 5-8 knots. I was spoiled having learned in the SF bay in "the slot".

Anyhow, getting back to the InReach, I signed up for their Rec Plan service which is now $40/mth. However, in March, they are introducing a more attractive pay as you go structure so I'll switch over. You basically pay for a one month block only if you use it and the rates will drop to $30/mth for the same plan I have. With it you get 40 text messages up to 160 characters each, $0.50 if go over limit, unlimited preset messages (these are very nice and basically all you need), unlimited tracking points and unlimited pings. SOS is obviously free. As mentioned above, if I wanted my friends or family to track me on my sat phone, I would need to but a service plan from a third party who would then send me up to 15 login accounts or something like that. With InReach this is included in the rate and unlimited for that plan. In some ways maybe the cost-benefit will prove itself if you need to be rescued, so a small price to pay for peace of mind.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Satellite Communicator

mohave2459February 20, 2014 11:40PM

To Escape656February 28, 2014 01:03PM

mohave725February 28, 2014 08:27PM

mohave686February 28, 2014 08:40PM

mohave715March 01, 2014 12:41AM

To Escape684March 03, 2014 02:37AM

mohave856March 04, 2014 05:28PM

To Escape758March 12, 2014 02:30PM

mohave1019March 12, 2014 07:42PM

To Escape1313March 27, 2014 05:12PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login